• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Making Body Stronger

kydo32

I found an easy way to make body more stronger . go to wal-mart and by the stuff as seen on t.v. called flex seal.Spray inside of body it will leave a coat of rubber which makes the body stronger and wont shatter. I used clear but can get in black and white too. now I am wondering if I was to spray my lower suspension arms if it will make them stronger having rubber coating?

kydo32

claude bigelow said:
Sounds great!!! Cracked my MT body, going to shoo glue it with mesh tape. I'll pick some of it up and spray this stuff as final layer.
mine cracked too I took tape closed crack on other side as much as I could and sprayed inside it sealed the cracks . doesn't peel off and puts a good thick coat rubber I recommend 2 cans for really thick in most vulnerable spots .its hard using clear cause cant see how much is being laid down but it works good . I am might try spraying suspension arms put heavy coat rubber may strengthen them .my chassis is all chipped underneath from rocks this winter I am doing a tear done and using the black spray to rubberize the bottom of my chassis it will work great seen friend use it on a boat came out good

Last edited by a moderator:

kydo32

RampageHopUps said:
Be careful with the Flex seal. It has nasty VOCs in it that will melt the body if you get too close. Spray it at least 12" away.
thanks didn't know that

kydo32

is the stuff you use on body shoe glue or shoo glue and can I find it in any hardware store or Wal-Mart? the stuff as seen on tv needs more strength to it cause on a roll over down 30 foot hill it demolished the body

Deluge

Yeah, Flex Seal won't strengthen it at all, really. Mesh tape and Shoe Goo is the way to go. You can find Shoe Goo at Walmart, I've never seen it at Lowe's or Home Depot.

kydo32

Deluge said:
Yeah, Flex Seal won't strengthen it at all, really. Mesh tape and Shoe Goo is the way to go. You can find Shoe Goo at Walmart, I've never seen it at Lowe's or Home Depot.
so its glue for shoes? if not what section is glue in at wal-mart

kydo32

Thanks!!! let me get this right you lay glue down then use drywall mesh over top then lay more glue? this is best way to strengthen body?

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

kydo32 said:
Thanks!!! let me get this right you lay glue down then use drywall mesh over top then lay more glue? this is best way to strengthen body?
Yes that is the way i do it the shoo goo will become very hard when it dries.

Cloach1

I used shoe goo and inside/outside screening as the inside body liner. The screening is made with fiber glass and this seams pretty durable. Heavier but much more durable.

kydo32

yea since winter has set in I bought 3 tubes shoo glue and some drywall tape to do truck thinking getting some 6 inch drywall tape I seen for walls that would be stronger then single pieces tape I thought of window screen but already bought the tape lol

carp boyz

Banned
the best method Imho is shoe goo and fibre glass matting/cloth,there's a couple of types,there's a stringy matting/cloth that the fibres pull out easily and it's messy as hell to work with,the strands never stop pulling out when applying and smoothening the shoe goo over top of it and then there's the fibre glass matting/cloth that's more like a weaved together matting with continuous strands,looks something like carbon fibre which doesn't have all the short strands in it,nice and clean to work with

fit the pieces one at a time,apply a generous amount of shoe goo on that area of the body and apply the matting quickly, pressing it tightly/smoothly into place and apply another layer of shoe goo over top of that but only once the first layer of goo and matting cure up a bit and smoothen out with spit and finger quickly,you don't have much time before you can't work it anymore

works perfectly every time as long as you work somewhat quickly with the stuff and it looks professional afterwards,a friend of mine showed me a B body that he had done and I didn't believe him it was done with actual shoo goo and not a spray on type of glue,not until he did a few sections on his 1/5 SC body in front of me.we all know shoo goo isn't the easiest,cleanest or nicest shit to use but when done properly it really can't be beat,my most unfavorite job of all by far but well worth it afterwards

problem with the drywallers fibre tape is that it'll keep lifting out of the shoe goo and you have to keep pressing it back into place until the shoo goo starts to cure/tack up a bit,a real pain when your doing a full size body

kydo32

carp boyz said:
the best method Imho is shoe goo and fibre glass matting/cloth,there's a couple of types,there's a stringy matting/cloth that the fibres pull out easily and it's messy as hell to work with,the strands never stop pulling out when applying and smoothening the shoe goo over top of it and then there's the fibre glass matting/cloth that's more like a weaved together matting with continuous strands,looks something like carbon fibre which doesn't have all the short strands in it,nice and clean to work withfit the pieces one at a time,apply a generous amount of shoe goo on that area of the body and apply the matting quickly, pressing it tightly/smoothly into place and apply another layer of shoe goo over top of that but only once the first layer of goo and matting cure up a bit and smoothen out with spit and finger quickly,you don't have much time before you can't work it anymore

works perfectly every time as long as you work somewhat quickly with the stuff and it looks professional afterwards,a friend of mine showed me a B body that he had done and I didn't believe him it was done with actual shoo goo and not a spray on type of glue,not until he did a few sections on his 1/5 SC body in front of me.we all know shoo goo isn't the easiest,cleanest or nicest shit to use but when done properly it really can't be beat,my most unfavorite job of all by far but well worth it afterwards

problem with the drywallers fibre tape is that it'll keep lifting out of the shoe goo and you have to keep pressing it back into place until the shoo goo starts to cure/tack up a bit,a real pain when your doing a full size body
the drywall mesh tape I found has adhesive on back of it

carp boyz

Banned
kydo32 said:
the drywall mesh tape I found has adhesive on back of it
all fibre drywall mesh tape is adhesive backed,it'll stick well when you first place it all but as soon as you hit it with shoe goo it'll start to lift up,maybe not everywhere but 80% of it especially if your trying to apply a half descent amount of glue

carp boyz

Banned
Phill said:
Down gere in Aus I've never heard of Shoe GooIs it an epoxy , a contact cement or just an ordinary glue?
it's a one part rubber based glue,it's actually made for repairing soles etc on shoes and especially work boots where you tear the leather at the steel toes,hence the brand name shoe goo

Phill

carp boyz said:
it's a one part rubber based glue,it's actually made for repairing soles etc on shoes and especially work boots where you tear the leather at the steel toes,hence the brand name shoe goo
Thanks mate

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts