• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Loosing screws during breakin

Sandman_73

Hi new here. Just picked up a 32cc MT and during breakin lost a screw off one of the steering servo arms. Have read a few posts stating similar experience. My question is without tearing the whole thing apart and putting locktite on EVERY screw which screws seem to be the most common to back out?

Ildy666

The ones that go into metal

Motor mount, exhaust,etc....

If I were u I'd take the time now to do all of them now becuase nothing sucks more than going out to bash around and ur whole day is ruined because something fell off and got lost or broke becuase it didn't get loctited.then u got to fix it the right way anyway so I say do them all now and save ur self a headache later just my 2cents....

Slimneill

So True!

First time around front yard: lost one steering servo/horn screw

Then made it to the park:

-Both Exhaust screws came out (luckily the change in noise i caught them before they were lost)

-Other servo screw was loose and caught that in time.

-Eventually rear shock came apart. Spring went shooting and lost the lower spring cup holder. Now it's out of commission until i get new parts.

-The wheel hub nut was loose too.

(I will hot glue these on every time going forward) I put hot glue on the nut and the threads to prevent the nut from backing off. I do this on my brush less E-Maxx hubs and have not lost one yet, They are pricey to be replacing. And the best part is you can peel the glue off in one piece using needle nose pliers if you need to take the wheels off) A pack of 20 glue sticks is a buck at the $1 store.

This was all with on half a tank of fuel & I had tightened all the screws i could see that were metal-metal right away. Now going to redo it all with lock tight.

GCraig

Slimneill said:
So True! First time around front yard: lost one steering servo/horn screw

Then made it to the park:

-Both Exhaust screws came out (luckily the change in noise i caught them before they were lost)

-Other servo screw was loose and caught that in time.

-Eventually rear shock came apart. Spring went shooting and lost the lower spring cup holder. Now it's out of commission until i get new parts.

-The wheel hub nut was loose too.

(I will hot glue these on every time going forward) I put hot glue on the nut and the threads to prevent the nut from backing off. I do this on my brush less E-Maxx hubs and have not lost one yet, They are pricey to be replacing. And the best part is you can peel the glue off in one piece using needle nose pliers if you need to take the wheels off) A pack of 20 glue sticks is a buck at the $1 store.

This was all with on half a tank of fuel & I had tightened all the screws i could see that were metal-metal right away. Now going to redo it all with lock tight.
I always check my wheel nuts before I run my Rampage Mt Pro to make sure there tight. Other then that tighten all screws good especially the 2 holding the engine in that come up through the chassis plate and the three that hold the transmission to the engine. Check all screws are tight on the bottom of the chassis though.

Slimneill

Well it turns out I lost more screws then I initially thought. The two most important ones were the two 5x25 mm countersunk screws and spacers that hold the motor in place to the chassis.

Does anyone know how thick those two spacer pieces are? Or have one laying around they could measure with calipers? The redcat part number is 50022. I can?t find the dimensions anywhere and the instructions don?t even show them. Once I have that I plan to make a solid bar shim and do away with those finicky spacers.

I just Loctited everything on the truck using the blue glue stick looking gell ? what an improvement over the liquid locktite. Turns out another one of my shock shafts wasn?t fully threaded into the plastic tie end during initial assembly. You have to take apart the shock to verify -make sure yours are so that your shock and lower spring perch don?t go missing on a hard landing like mine did.

Thanks,

Dan

Ildy666

If u make a bar for ur motor mount notch the middle so ur finger fits that way u can move it around to find the holes

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts