• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

LITERALLY burnt out my throttle servo

imaudi5000

Long story short, always do a radio check before heading out.

The other day I was getting ready for a drive. I turned on my tx and rx. Did my little radio check thing, and the throttle servo jerked "forward", got stuck, and started to glow red hot from the inside. I thought 'hm never noticed that light before, what is that?' Then I realized it was the servo shorting out. So I yanked the battery plug out to cut the power. Luckily it didn't continue to burn but it was fiddlesticking roasted. So now's the time to replace/upgrade the throttle servo! It was the stock hexfly servo and about 2.5 years old, but less than 3 gallons of gas through the car (I don't get to drive a lot lol)

Here are some pics for shits and giggles.

Also, if anyone wants to recommend a decent throttle servo that doesn't break that bank, I'll be shopping around anyway

IMG_20200628_190522140.jpg IMG_20200628_190711486.jpg IMG_20200628_190735019.jpg IMG_20200628_191208433.jpg IMG_20200628_191314354.jpg

imaudi5000

Nice, I saw that one on Amazon.
Do you run it with a stock battery or lipo/life?

imaudi5000

So I made some upgrades...and some downgrades lol
I went with a hitec D645MW servo, for cost and wide voltage range. I also got a futaba 3pv TX and r203 Rx. And a spektrum LiFe Rx battery, 3000mah 6.6v. I went LiFe for long cycle life and safer handling. All the new stuff works great! Radio and servo seem super quick compared to the stock shit. Battery makes the steering servo much faster and stronger too, I had upgraded to a hitec last year.
Problem is, now the engine won't start....
I know I need to roll back the upgrades to see what's wrong but haven't had much time. Also, broke the fuckin pull starter cord when trying to start ? waiting on a new one.
I hope the short circuit didn't somehow fry my kill switch or ignition coil. It seems like the engine isn't getting spark. The killswitch(killer bee) seems to work, it's turns on, beeps and goes green. I checked the ignition coil and the connections are good. I changed the spark plug too. Nothing works lol.
Anyone have any experience like this before?
I'll try to change the glitch sensitivity on the killswitch and see if that does anything, but I doubt it because the killswitch doesn't seem to be "activating" ?

imaudi5000

well, i got the new pull starter in.... and it still wont start. i put back in the old stock radio and battery. so the only new thing is the throttle servo, which does work with both radio systems.
still seems like the engine isnt getting spark. next step i guess is to replace the old stock kill button and see if the killerbee killswitch is the problem.

imaudi5000

Ok I finally got it running again.
All the old and new electronics seem to work. I can only assume I flooded the engine pretty stupidly or the gas had gone bad, I use stabil though. Also, my idle tune had gone to shit somehow so that clearly didn't help lol. Had to work the throttle while pulling to get it enough air.
Oh well all good now ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.