• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Lipo Temps

G

Just a reminder to keep an eye on those lipos. I found a couple of the Redcat factory lipos extremely puffed from just being stored in a hot garage.

tha nemesis

yah i need to pick up 8 lipo safe's for my batteries and the low voltage buzzer ..i been reading alot of the forums here and have been giving me alot of help .. as for my motor i plan on using a venom smart temp on my cooling fins of my xb-e to monitor temps ..

G

The batteries that puffed were at a partial storage charge. But it stays above 100 deg out there. Time for an AC.

tha nemesis

i might have to do the ammo can trick .. good idea Deluge .. do you use a fire proof bag on you lipo's .. im new to using lipos and they seem unstable if not used and charged properly

pb2themax

Banned
Never store lithium batteries at full charge. WHen not using LiPos for a week or two they need to be stored about half charge. Bout 3.7v per cell is half charge. Many battery chargers have a "storage" mode. Use it. It will get the battery at the proper voltage for storage.

Think of it like a pot of water. If you fill the pot all the way up with water, and then you turn on the stovetop heat the water is going to boil over. If you just fill it up half way then the water has room to expand when the heat turns on.

It's best to keep batteries cool and out of the sun when possible. The dashboard or trunk of an automobile can be super hot on a sunny day.

I know some guys that even store lipos in the frigerator. You don't want to freeze them, but 40F is fine.

Deluge

I store mine at about 3.8-3.85V. I never let them drop passed 3.4V when running. I have a little LiPo alarm that I set up for that. I don't trust LVC's.

Deluge

tha nemesis said:
i might have to do the ammo can trick .. good idea Deluge .. do you use a fire proof bag on you lipo's .. im new to using lipos and they seem unstable if not used and charged properly
I have a LiPo bag, but I honestly don't use it. As long as you take care of the packs and avoid damage, they'll be fine. Many of the LiPo fires I've seen occurred due to damage. This is why I run hardcase packs. As far as charging them, I balance charge them every time. Might be a little anal, but I like to baby my packs.

tha nemesis

so .... i pick up my xb-e from ups monday .. now ... how do i charge these lipos ... do i first balance them .. charge .. then re balance them and use them in the car .. i have no idea what the guy has them charged at .. i am buying a battery buzzer to keep an eye on them .. i want to set the buzzer at 3.5 or 3.7 volts .. i buy the buzzers today .. they wont be here till the 29th by the latest ..

Cca

I would always charge/balance them. As far as a lipo bag I would pick one up imo. If new to charging lipo's this is the time you most likely will make a mistake. And honestly no matter how long you have been dealing with lipo's they should be in a bag. One mishap is all it will take you to realize before it's too late. What charger are you using to charge your batteries?

samsung galaxy note 2

tha nemesis

i looked at what he is sending me ...it is 1 hi tech multi charger x1 ac plus battery charger .. 2 stock lipos that come with the xb-e ( black carbon fiber looking ).. and 2 zippy 5000 3s 30c series hardcase lipos

G

I use some similar bags while charging. Not sure how effective they are.

Deluge

That's the LiPo buzzer I have. It's pretty accurate and it's loud as hell. Good stuff.

I also have a Hitec LiPo checker/balancer. It displays the voltage of each cell, and if they're out of balance, it'll balance them without having to be hooked up to a charger. Pretty sweet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts