• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

lightened flywheel

rampage idiot

Any one heard any pros or cons using a lightened flywheel like any running hot issues or does it really make engine rev faster? :confused:

G

No cooling issues really. It helps acceleration. Less rotating mass will help an engine spool up faster. The only down side is you loose some torque.

G

Something to consider is that most professional engine builders don't use them. Not even on the highest hp engines.

Last edited:
G

I just had to edit. I just noticed Gizmo uses one in their modded RCMK.

Deluge

If they're overly lightened (IE, DarkSoul), they'll shatter. If they shorten or remove some fins, it'll be fine. You don't really lose THAT much air flow. Keep in mind though, anytime you mod the flywheel it throws it out of balance. When it's out of balance, it'll beat up on the crank bearings. So, where ever you get a flywheel, check if they balance them after they mod them.

alfred e numan

I think gizmo mods the flywheels he sells in house- his own machine- each of his flywheels are rebalnced- he even adds some numbers on these flywheels- serial numbers?- Correction--i just dug a new one out of the 30cc build box- no numbers on this lightened wheel- but you can clearly see where the cnc removed materal to rebalance.- the other 4 i have do have his numbers-- Folks? I do have a fairly decent command of english-- but my spelling---lol!

G

Damn! Now that's extreme. desismileys_6588.gif

alfred e numan

That flywheel would move very little air. might be ok for cold weather- gotta wonder about it flying apart- the steel pick ups for the coil - these flywheels are cast AL.

Deluge

Actually, they tested it and said there was only about a 2 degree increase in engine temp. But yeah, I wouldn't run it. Things can get real, really quickly if that thing explodes while you're near it.

G

I would be afraid to run that. desismileys_6048.gif

GTS 666

I would be happier to run that one before I ran one that had holes drilled threw it to make it lighter. I think it would hold up OK. But removing the fins from the pull start side of the flywheel is enough IMO.

Deluge

Agreed. Did you run the DarkSoul flywheel? Or did you mod it yourself? I've seen some gnarly pictures of the damage caused by an exploding DarkSoul flywheel.

GTS 666

No never bought or ran one as I had read about that exact issue. But have ran lightend flywheels with just the outside fins removed with no problems. Probably doesn't make a lot of difference but a little modding here and there all adds up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts