• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Lexan Painting Tips ????

Rammer

Just got the Proline Rat body today ,in the mail ....Still have to work out the

body mounts.Think I got where I want it to sit on the truck , where it looks cool ...... :cool:

I want to make the mounts out of aluminum ,like the orignals...

Thats going to take a long while.Need to do alot of measuring , trimming , and painting ..??? :eek:

I have been checking out YouTube,for painting tips ,but they seem pretty

boaring ???They really don't show alot about painting lexan bodys.When

they show some type of tip , its from a car body shop,like painting lightning.

Then everything you need to do with an air brush ,needs to be reversed ????

I don't want to ruin it , but want to do the painting myself.If you know of

any good painting tips , would sure like to know about them ??? Before I need

to use brake fluid ,to remove the paint ???? :eek:

Has anybody tried the glow in the dark paint , does it really work ????

Here are some pictures where I would like it to sit, on the truck.Tell me what you think ?

Just don't want to crack-up the Rampage truck body , needs to stay on the shelf .... :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Piranha2

Contributor
My personal opinion is that you would want that shell to sit about an inch+ lower......and as far as painting I am useless.......can't paint in the house and last year outside I was painting and the wind picked up, blew crap all over the fresh paint, went to pick it up, dropped it on the grass....and then covered it with bugs, guess they like the smell.....and yeah, you can't HIDE those front shocks anymore.....give us the SCOOP!!!!

Clubin

Banned
I agree mount the body as low as you can wothout it hitting the wheels. Are you planning on running HPI tires/rims? I trimmed my Asguard body to run the MT tires I wish I didn't it looks kinda funny with the HPI tires/rims. Buy yourself airbrush and practice, a paint job is only as good as the prep.

Sprint 77

Contributor
Wash body with soap and water and very light "OOO" steel wool the inside. mark the outside up with a sharpie on all your grafics then you can paint the detail first easier because you will have a guide to tape off or paint to. I like the internal decals but shadow them in with a airbrush so they kind of melt together not just stuck out of your paint job.

Rammer

Piranha2 said:
My personal opinion is that you would want that shell to sit about an inch+ lower......and as far as painting I am useless.......can't paint in the house and last year outside I was painting and the wind picked up, blew crap all over the fresh paint, went to pick it up, dropped it on the grass....and then covered it with bugs, guess they like the smell.....and yeah, you can't HIDE those front shocks anymore.....give us the SCOOP!!!!
The scoop on my front shock ? Just like the rear shocks .....Used Baja 5b rear spring sets , on all four Rampage shocks.Each shock has two springs ,with the grey plastic holder,from the Baja 5b ,that slides up and down on the shock. They come in the small parts bags , for a Baja 5b ....Also cut to fit Baja 5b shock boots , for all four Rampage shocks ...They are alot stiffer than , the Rampage springs ...But still squishey.Will be able to take some major bumps ......The Rampage front springs could'nt hold the weight of the truck .....

Rammer

mooman007uk said:
Did you paint the plastic mounts? if they're the alloy ones I'd suggest taking them off, first roll over with that body and they'll be history, you want everything to be able to flex.
They are aluminum body posts ,like the look alot better than stock.When they stick out of body.I have misplaced one of the plastic ones,someday will

find when I don't need the mount.........After they break ,and have ordered stock ones again .....

Rammer

I am going to have to drop the body mounts ,to try to hide the frame.Then see how it looks...I really liked how MOO'S truck looked..!!!!Thats why I bought the PROLINE. The paint LOOKED GREAT on MOO'S truck ,was disapointed to see it all SCRATCHED up ,and DIRTY later on ........... :(

Don't like the look of the smaller tires,just look too small.Like to run my

R/C'S in grass,smaller tires don't go as fast , at least off the line , in grass ..

mooman007uk

Banned
I'm afraid it's way more scratched now and a few more creases but they are super tough bodies, here's my rear mount after yestwerdays outing...easy to see why i recommended losing the alloy mounts.

To fit with the MT tires I had to trim some off the front wheel arches and just a smidge off the rear, I want to slam the body on my TT and shave some off the bottom

DSC00442.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts