• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Kill switch keeps shutting me down :(

Mike6000

How's it goin' have my stock 2 ch. radio and stock 3 ch. receiver with the rc.pitstop kill switch, killer bee I guess??, plugged into ch. 3, steering servo by itself(stock one) a 'y' splitter to the volt meter and throttle servo( savox), and using the stock 6v battery, car runs, kill switch works( activated by turning off radio because the tx is only 2ch.) however I'm consistently shutting down after five minutes, car will not start at that point, but will start back up with one pull if I turn the car off then back on thus resetting the kill switch, I don't think this setup is that uncommon from what I've read, my hobby guy feels there's to much on the receiver at this point, I'm a bit stumped myself any tips??? Oh the batteries are 100% as far as I can see, soo the only other thing I might guess is a loose wire or malfunctioning receiver, ?? The great advice is always appreciated thanks...

Sergio

Have you tried removing the splitter and just pluguing killswitch to spare channel i have the same killerswitch on my xb plug straigth to spare channel and no problems and the switches rcdad sell are not killer bee it does same Job but its a different brand.

Mike6000

I have the kill in ch3 and the throttle channel split into two, one for servo, the other for the volt meter. The steering servo is by itself on its channel... Everything works fine, but it ends up shutting down??

rookie101

Yep, get rid of the splitter cable, there's no need for it. I just set a super bee up on a new Chimera with the stock radio and it works perfect plugged into the third channel on the RX.

Mike6000

Ok I've done more testing... Both mt/xb wired up the same way stock radios, good batteries, minimal wiring, kill switch in ch 3, throttle alone on its channel, and steering servo alone on its channel. I don't even have to run it or play with the servos and within five minutes the red failure light comes on... Confused?!; :( feels like some incompatibility with the kill switch I don't know???

andyken

I had what I called a bump stop...

Every big bump would kill the motor, dead, and only if I tapped on the battery box it would restart.

Turned out the antenna wire was breaking of the receiver.

$20 new rx all better.

kingpin

I have the same problem, I run my XB for about couple mins and it shut's off, I go up to it turn it off then back on and it start's right up, it doesent do that on my MT both have the RC pitstop kill switch. I didnt do anything different but it seem's to happen on the new XB and not on my MT. I also have the stock 2 ch radio with the kill switch on the third ch. :confused:

rookie101

Mike6000 said:
Ok I've done more testing... Both mt/xb wired up the same way stock radios, good batteries, minimal wiring, kill switch in ch 3, throttle alone on its channel, and steering servo alone on its channel. I don't even have to run it or play with the servos and within five minutes the red failure light comes on... Confused?!; :( feels like some incompatibility with the kill switch I don't know???
Sounds like either a radio problem, or a faulty switch. The kill switch in my 5ive was killing my truck randomly between thirty and sixty seconds running on my Airtrionics MT4. I pulled the rx for it from one of my moa comp crawlers and it seemed fine at first, but started to act up fairly quickly. Turned out it was unhappy with the dual motor throttle set up in the model profile in the radio. Cleared the model profile and rebound the rx and everything was fine.

Obviously you can't reset your radio as it's the stock one, but it could be a binding problem, or bad rx. You can get a new rx from hobby king for six bucks, but for now switch radios in the trucks to start eliminating things. I'm not familiar with the RC Pit Stop one, but does it have an adjustable lipo cut off?? If so it could be set to lipo which would cause it to die if you're running nimh.

Mike6000

Hey kingpin, sounds exactly like my problem... And what's more its exactly the same on my mt, and they don't even have to be running I could watch it happening right on the bench, turn car on green light blinks then goes out (all ready)...couple minutes green light comes back on not blinking shortly followed by red light, then I test fire the engine, and nothing. Reset kill switch fires first pull. So I think something with the radio set is triggering the kill switch, and its glitch limits, and voltage cutoff etc. are factory set, so I'm stumped?? I will try rebinding though...

Deluge

Try unplugging everything but the kill switch and the battery. Connect the battery directly to the RX, don't use the switch. If all is well, add the switch. From there test one component at a time until you can replicate the problem. That'll help you pinpoint the issue.

It could also be that one of the servos is overloading the system, causing the RX to reboot. Just a thought. You could test that by starting off with everything unplugged like before and adding components until the kill switch freaks out.

Mike6000

Thanks again deluge, more good advice, I think it may be working properly after the rebinding but I'm not convinced yet. More runs without shutdown will tell. Will post the outcome when I'm certain.

TheCount

I had this issue with my MT, it would start. But shut down about 3 times in the 1st few minutes, and then be fine.

My DR did not have this issue, UNTIL the throttle servo died & i put my after market MT servo in my DR. Now it has the random shutdown issue. I bought a SAVOX servo for my MT & now it is fine. No random shutdowns.

This leads me to think the throttle servo is the issue. It wasn't a cheap one either.

phreerider

interesting ...i had some similar issues .

first scenario- XB stock NiMH superbee failsafe in AUX channel with VOLTMETER and splitter setup. very mild single glitch kill in first minute ...then all fine for couple tanks in same session, maybe one or two every hour of operation. VERY minor not really what i consider an issue , i thought glitch sensitivity was TOO high, no alterations. just was not an issue plus i wanted failsafe to do its thing and really felt glitch level was fine.

second scenario- dropped the NiMH, replaced with 7.4v 4200mah Lipo and the glitch kill was every 20seconds...PROBLEM no doubt! superbee indicated "AUX 5 second kill" with solid red LED...in one effort to look in RX box, i left it ON(engine killed) to get into RX box to check LED and as i slide the top off and one of the screws left in the cover crossed and makes contact with the nest of wires(mainly the splitter) and tiny sparks in multiple spots pop. no apparent damage all checked out and was fine...could not replicate. after multiple combos and resets, no resolve with LiPo. voltmeter starts to drop indicating FRESH lipo was done...

so..i added back the a fresh NiMH reset as before(solo ch. servo/str and superbee/voltmeter in AUX on the splitter)and all is good. LiPo back on the B6AC, balanced and charged , and all is solid. only required maybe 300mah...strange...hmm.

my guess is splitter has limits and prone to some resistance at union and produces arc glitches at HIGHER volt. thats a guess....insulation would help no doubt ...and may have to notch back glitch sensitivity on superbee (cycling dip switch #2). ATM, LiPo is out of rotation til better insulation is added for sure .

thought i would add this in... thoughts and concerns on action are welcome.

pb2themax

Banned
What radio are you guys using? If it's a 2 channel transmitter make sure you have the #1 dip switch flipped down.

kingpin

pb2themax said:
What radio are you guys using? If it's a 2 channel transmitter make sure you have the #1 dip switch flipped down.
we are talking about the kill switch from RCDAD....worked great now the red light just stay's on and cant start the truck. guess I will have to get another one cant see it going bad just like that. :confused:

chrispc66

Had so much trouble with killer bees and other kill switches that I've removed them completely. I can see the advantage of a kill switch, don't get me wrong, but for the casual basher I am, the failsafe works fine.

I only bash in areas where there are no people, and I guess the only risk is throttle servo failure, stopping the fail-safe from applying brakes if out of range. I ensure my batteries are in top charge condition before each bash.

So until the throttle servo breaks, I'll stick to the fail-safe. It works fine, I test it before each run and have deliberately drove my units out of range and they just stop dead. The out of range is a hell of a distance too.

The only reason for fail-safe failure, LOL, is flat receiver battery or throttle servo failure...yes?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts