• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Kermit Mods.

Trip..

have you ever tried to change the plug with the stock roll cage in place? What a pain in the buttcheeks... So I came up with this..

442c271d.jpg

101be59e.jpg

I just shaved off the hexes in the front and rear and now it pivots when I remove the front screws. Now it takes 20 seconds to swap a plug..

Trip..

I also made an order to 7075 for some goodies...

Redcat068_zps17302c18.jpg

I'll have the C-Hubs in a few weeks, trying to come up with some more cash...

I did the rears too... The bearings are from Good Ole Fast Eddy...

Redcat069_zpse4bbb2dc.jpg

I was a little bummed the bearings weren't a little tighter in the hubs, but it wasn't anything a quick wrap of electrical tape couldn't fix. I just wrapped them in a single layer of tape and pressed them in using a 15mm socket and a vise. Any extra tape that wasn't needed, peeled off while being pressed in.

Here's a link to save 15% on bearings from Fast Eddy if your interested... http://go.referralcandy.com/share/Z4FKFZ3

Trip..

The stock battery dumps in about 20 minutes with a digital servo buzzing away, so I yanked out the stock pack and tossed in a retro Sanyo RC-2000 Nicad pack baby! Yup I'm still refusing to give up my damn Nicads. lol.

Redcat060_zps6be7f8ef.jpg

It's held down with a body mount from a CEN nitro stadium truck I converted to a big block .32 a few years ago...

Redcat065_zps16fc6792.jpg

I did this so I could run "7.2v" to the shitty steering servo... It's a Hitec 805mg... Never again... I'm running the servo directly off the 7.2 pack with the included y harness.

Redcat070_zps84325c16.jpg

It won't be long and the Hitec will be pawned off onto someone else and there'll be a nice orange big brother to the throttle servo...

Well, that's about all for now.

G

Trip.. said:
I switched over to a set of 35 25 gears, but I used one of my old/stock gears because of it's width. The 25 tooth steel gears are narrow as hell and I was going for as much gear contact as possible. I went with the plastic gear to see if I liked the gear ratio and to for a weak point... Mistake? Possibly..
Nice and tall. You'll have some good top speed.

G

Trip.. said:
have you ever tried to change the plug with the stock roll cage in place? What a pain in the buttcheeks... So I came up with this..I just shaved off the hexes in the front and rear and now it pivots when I remove the front screws. Now it takes 20 seconds to swap a plug..
That will work! Good Idea!

G

Trip.. said:
The stock battery dumps in about 20 minutes with a digital servo buzzing away, so I yanked out the stock pack and tossed in a retro Sanyo RC-2000 Nicad pack baby!It's held down with a body mount from a CEN nitro stadium truck I converted to a big block .32 a few years ago...

I did this so I could run "7.2v" to the shitty steering servo... It's a Hitec 805mg... Never again... I'm running the servo directly off the 7.2 pack with the included y harness.
if ya got them nothing wrong with using them. :cool:

TerraKill

Trip.. said:
I switched over to a set of 35 25 gears, but I used one of my old/stock gears because of it's width. The 25 tooth steel gears are narrow as hell and I was going for as much gear contact as possible. I went with the plastic gear to see if I liked the gear ratio and to for a weak point... Mistake? Possibly..
i used to run 2 metal and 2 plastic gears alternating all the time, never had a problem, and never stripped a gear either :)

in my opinion its the best way to go if running gears:p

really liking this build, it looking lush cant wait to see you run it

Last edited by a moderator:

Trip..

Yeah me too! This shit gets expensive!

My last 1/6 scale wouldn't break even when hitting mailbox posts at 50... Quite the opposite for this scenario I must say.

Trip..

Somehow I locked up the front diff today while I was at work. I live alone and Kermit was sitting on the stand in the garage by himself... I came home and fired him up... Next thing I see is smoke pouring from the front end... I don't know what is wrong 'cause I haven't looked at it, I was too disgusted.

I just told the 3 people that were thinking about Xb's and XT's to forget about it... I told them to buy something else, hell anything else. These redcats are rubbish! I wish I would have bought the 4wd conversion for my FG, it would have been cheaper and FAR more reliable... Cheap ass chinese shit!

I'm done!

dave pettigrew

agreed im disgusted also 5 tanks , pipe broke servos died , pullstart failed , wheels suck stripped bearings gave out. redcat really needs to step and repair there problems . these things break sittin on the shelf it seems. im a mechanc and have been into rc for 20 plus years . i cant imagine the average joe buyin one of these. they would just throw it after a few fails

G

The X-series needs some help right out of the box. Nothing new for 5th scale owners. With the cost of a X-series car so low, it allows more $ to be spent on hop ups. You can spend 3x more on a new 5ive and still have a lot of the same issues. Every forum for every 5th scale platform you will read of problems with factory equipment.

Sorry to hear of your issues/frustration.

I don't race it but have had great luck with my XB.

BoukeG

I agree. I own a couple of 1/10th scale Traxxas cars. All of them needed some mods, little tweaks. I bash them hard, and when I break something it is my own fault. I've had also stripped wheel hex hubs. Broken pinion, and a lot more.

Now having this 1/5th scale, I'm having so much fun repairing and modding, much more options than all other models I own, and I really dig it!

True it costs a lot of money, true it should be better from factory... but as rcdad said: the price is so low, you can have so many hopups, and still have a lower total than an other brand. But you must work on it and tweak it, improve it... make it your own...

BertR

I love my X-Series!! Sure the tire foams are crud and the bearings suck but these are the things you should upgrade anyway.I have been beating my X hard since February and the only fail was the stock throttle servo and still running the stock steering servo. So its quite apparent that not all Redcats are a pile-o-poo and in my opinion they fricken rock and will stand by it..

rampage idiot

Trip.. said:
Somehow I locked up the front diff today while I was at work. I live alone and Kermit was sitting on the stand in the garage by himself... I came home and fired him up... Next thing I see is smoke pouring from the front end... I don't know what is wrong 'cause I haven't looked at it, I was too disgusted.I just told the 3 people that were thinking about Xb's and XT's to forget about it... I told them to buy something else, hell anything else. These redcats are rubbish! I wish I would have bought the 4wd conversion for my FG, it would have been cheaper and FAR more reliable... Cheap ass chinese shit!

I'm done!
Man that sucks bummer to hear!!!!!!!!! :mad:

QUESTION any of you guys out there got losis or hpi 2 or 3 times as much money up front are they better, worse or about the same? :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.