• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Kermit Mods.

metal finisher

Contributor
i know my ae mgt 8.0 is a animal. if they plan on some thing i hope its alot like the mgt platform. iam really surprised traxxas never got on board,the had a monster buggy back in the day i think it was rebaged with their name on it

krashkrieg

Contributor
metal finisher said:
i know my ae mgt 8.0 is a animal. if they plan on some thing i hope its alot like the mgt platform. iam really surprised traxxas never got on board,the had a monster buggy back in the day i think it was rebaged with their name on it
The MGT 8.0 was the last Nitro I ever bought...It really was an animal, my favorite Nitro for sure...until I gave up on all nitro... :rolleyes:

Agreed, I'd might be a player if they based a 1/5 on the MGT 8 platform...great to work on as well...

metal finisher

Contributor
yep the 8.0 was my last one also,i still have mine kinda waiting on hpi to release the two cycle motor to see if i wanna keep it or not.5th scale is a blast,who cares what brand you have as long as you have fun and enjoy what you are doing

rampage idiot

metal finisher said:
yep the 8.0 was my last one also,i still have mine kinda waiting on hpi to release the two cycle motor to see if i wanna keep it or not.5th scale is a blast,who cares what brand you have as long as you have fun and enjoy what you are doing
Amen brother !thats exactly right because no matter what you have there is always someone that will bad mouth it no matter how good it is or how much you like it!

dave pettigrew

sorry to get everyone worked up, ill be sellin my rampage xb as a roller , i just rebuilt it new bearings aluminum upgrades , also have 2 new wheels and tires sstill in the bag and a new dynpjet pipe. i have used the engine in a baja so no engine no servos email at [email protected]

Trip..

Well damn, I guess it's been awhile... I never completely gave up on Kermit, I just got pissed at him for a few months.

I busted him out a few months ago and I seized up a rear diff bearing, which smoked the rear diff housing. 5 months later I ordered up a new diff case and a set of bearings. That was last week...

Now Kermit is back kicking ass once again. I know I was pissed off at the Redcat line, but it's not so bad. Sure it needs some parts to make it "Beat-the-shit-out-of-it-able" but, this damn buggy rips. I can't hate it!

I love my FG's but I have to say, around a track, not much can touch this XB. I can smoke about 95% of large scale cars and I can dish out a pretty good beating to the 1/8 scale world too! The funny thing is, my fuel is 4 bux a gallon... How much is a gallon of nitro? lol. Anyway...

OK. I tried the 35,25,25,25 gears... Even with the added power of the JetPro, the stock hy didn't have enough ass to pull that gear. That gear worked, but the buggy always sounded like I was in the wrong gear. Do you remember the XTM Mammoth? Same situation. Buggy gearing with monster tires means the motor never pulls any r's (RPM) Think of a full scale car starting out in second gear. That's about what the 35,25,25,25 gears were like.

So I went back to stock gearing (A&B swapped). With the addition of the pipe it's now an animal! But only on a short track. The stock Hung Yang Wang Sang Chwang is completely asthmatic after about 15,000 rpm. Just bashing in a small parking lot it will trash tires in no time with amusing 4 wheel drifts, but it's top speed is a joke! One has to keep in mind, top speed is only in the high 20's to very low 30's. The XB is cool, but it's geared like a lawn tractor.

With that info deep-set in my overwhelmed mind, I contacted a couple of engine porters. (I may indulge upon this further, but for now I shall remain vague) I plan to pick up a severely ported head, but in a much smaller displacement. I like motors that rev, but we all know the 30.5 Hy revs like a diesel. With the 10k spring I'm running, this clapped-out Hy30.5 joke-of-a-motor, is about taxed to it's limits by the time the clutch engages.

I still haven't decided for certain which displacement to select. I can go with a fully ported 30.5 and gear it for top speed (35,25,25,25) or I can go with a 26cc and stock gearing, or I can go with a 23cc and let it rev to the moon. We all know, this light ass car doesn't need a 30.5 cc torque monster to propel it. This shit-bag motor was put in this car for selling purposes. Read. "My car has a 30.5cc" But in reality, does it really matter what cc you have if your car tops out in the 20 mph range? OK how about this, has anyone seen an X-Series go much faster than about 30 with a stock motor? Didn't think so...

I have heavier FG's with 26 and 23 Zenoah's that will kill this Redcat on the street. Both of which will pull wheelies with ease. Mmmm, something must be up? Oh I know, the Zenoah will rev to 20,000 rpm. The HY is ready to throw a rod at 15,000 rpm.

So as I said I'm still debating on a motor. I was thinking about an OBR or ESP 30.5, but I run into the same problem... Top Rpm is in the 16k-18k range.

Ok, how about a 27.2 stroker? It's a 26cc bore with a 30.5/2mm stroker crank. Well that sounds pretty decent rpms in the high 18-19K range. That's an idea..

What about a ported 26cc? That was the stock motor (non-ported) in my FG Monster. It's a very capable motor and the torque is pretty damn decent. This motor yanked my 28 pound FG Monster around like nothing once I threw on a JetPro. Wheelies and burnouts at any time.

What about a 23cc ported head? That motor is what the "Largescale" cars started out with... That motor is capable of revving into the mid 20k range... I have one in my FG Marder and it revs to the moon while easily lifting the front wheels at about any given speed, once I installed a JetPro pipe of course.

I also have this GP290 sitting on a shelf...

Mmmmm... What to do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts