• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

just how much can the XR handle?

the13bats

I hunted around youtube but didnt find anything much,
I am curious how rough the XR can take it,
I have my basher chimera, but it mostly sees vacant lot type terrain,
I have been thinking about the xr, i like to theme my buggys out like fury road death race type stuff, something tank girl might drive,

I don't want a total on road car, i do want something with some suspension travel,

Haroldbee

I hunted around youtube but didnt find anything much,
I am curious how rough the XR can take it,
I have my basher chimera, but it mostly sees vacant lot type terrain,
I have been thinking about the xr, i like to theme my buggys out like fury road death race type stuff, something tank girl might drive,

I don't want a total on road car, i do want something with some suspension travel,
The Redcat Rampage XR was my first 5th scale. I've had it a long time until I recently got me a Rovan Baja 5b buggy. As such, I can answer your XR questions. I bought it because I wanted a rally car with some on-road capabilities. It didn't do very well on-road because of that huge, heavy body on it. So, if you want to set speed records, get rid of that cumbersome shell. With some imagination you'll find one, and you'll have some on-road fun with it. Now, let's talk about the XR's off-road capabilities. It sucks in the dirt. It acts like a shovel. Dirt fills into it easily; pebbles get caught either in the drive train or caught in the wheel hubs, and, with heavy off-road action, bearings wear out and the plastic transmission gear mount will melt. Upgrading to an aluminium gear mount will solve the latter problem. Also, make sure to buy spare dogbone all around, and a spare set of bearings. In short, the XR is not a tough rc vehicle if you intend to bash it hard. As far as suspension travel, it's quite adjustable. No problems there. The pros: it adapts well to being a purely on-road vehicle. Cons? It doesn't stand up to the rigors of off-road bashing. Have fun.

the13bats

Thanx HB,

More less what i expected to hear, ive only seen pictures of the XR and to start with i cant say i like the body a bit too constipated turtle looking for me,

Just imagine what a hot seller RC would have if they had went with a camaro, mustang, vette, etc style body,

Ive been into this stuff well over 45 years, with the large scale and most smaller scale for that matter the line of demarcation between on and off road has been pretty well defined,
So much so when i wanted an "enduro" type vehical i normally started with an offroad buggy and just made it what i desired.

I do believe with a few tweaks the XR could be a great on roader and nice dirt oval car...

Cheers,
B

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online