• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Just bought chimera....Leaking oil?????

Chimera

hi,

just bought my chimera.....nice looking rig.

added 13 oz of 2cycle engine oil to 2.5gallons of 87 grade gasoline. Let the first tank run at idle. 2nd tank i ran completely going at 25%-50%, after which i found that the back section directly under the wing/exhaust is covered in oil.....obviously splattered from the exhaust....

is this normal?

Chimera

Phill said:
Idling will oil it up but you may need to lean the needles if it continues under normal running
The first tank idling produced tiny oil spots about 3 feet behind the exhaust......it was definitely a pattern...

when you say 'lean the needles', i'm guessing you mean put more gas in the mixture of my fuel....right? what like add another 1/2 gallon of clean fuel to the remainder (2.5 gallon minus 1 liter used)?

Phill

Chimera said:
The first tank idling produced tiny oil spots about 3 feet behind the exhaust......it was definitely a pattern...when you say 'lean the needles', i'm guessing you mean put more gas in the mixture of my fuel....right? what like add another 1/2 gallon of clean fuel to the remainder (2.5 gallon minus 1 liter used)?
No I mean adjust the carby needles to lean the mixture of fuel and air.

To adjust the low speed needle turn it clockwise until the engine revs increase and then start to die then back it out a little.

You adjust the high speed needle by sight when running flat out.

Keep turning in until max speed is reached then back it out a little.

Be careful not to run with the needles too far in (too lean) or you could seize the motor.

There is a thread about tuning on here that has a video explaing it

Try this vid

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

topblissgt said:
could it be the higher percentage of oil mix for break in causing this. ? Mine did it too
I've never heard of a higher percentage for running in

Should be 25:1

40ml oil/1litre petrol

By my calculations 13oz in 2.5 gals = 30:1 so you shouldn't be having any problems with your fuel.

I'd say it's just running rich

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimera

Phill said:
I've never heard of a higher percentage for running inShould be 25:1

40ml oil/1litre petrol

By my calculations 13oz in 2.5 gals = 30:1 so you shouldn't be having any problems with your fuel.

I'd say it's just running rich
sorry, but your math is a little off.

13oz in 2.5gals is actually 25:1

2.5gals is 320 ozs

divide by 25 and you get 12.8 oz

:p

Phill

Chimera said:
sorry, but your math is a little off.13oz in 2.5gals is actually 25:1

2.5gals is 320 ozs

divide by 25 and you get 12.8 oz

:p
You're right

I just looked it up and your gallon is smaller than ours

2.5 imperial gallons is 400oz

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online