• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Is it possible to install gears backwards in a differential

Subtlebeast

Hi All,

I just built front and rear differentials in Alum housings and my truck is binding/locking up when I move all 4 wheels on the ground. Is it possible I installed one of the differentials backwards in the casing or are they keyed to avoid this? It almost seems the front wheels are spinning the opposite direction of the rears and causes the truck to lock up. This happens as soon as I give the truck a gentle push(I haven’t started it since rebuild of diffs). I figured I would ask before I open them up.

Impalassman

I know the plastic diffs have a pin to keep from doing this but I noticed when I used the aluminum ones you had to keep track of which way they need to go so they don't spin the wrong way.

Subtlebeast

I guess I should have payed a bit more attention when I rebuilt them. Looks like I will have to take them apart. Thanks for the info.

pfrederi1

I feel ur pain having to breakdown somnething you spent time on. My suggestion would be to label and layout your parts carefully and test as you go. By that I mean as you reassemble the parts stop at certain intervals and turn with the hand. After the diff is fully assenbled but before mounting test turn again to make sure its functioning properly.

G-Man

Hi All,

I just built front and rear differentials in Alum housings and my truck is binding/locking up when I move all 4 wheels on the ground. Is it possible I installed one of the differentials backwards in the casing or are they keyed to avoid this? It almost seems the front wheels are spinning the opposite direction of the rears and causes the truck to lock up. This happens as soon as I give the truck a gentle push(I haven’t started it since rebuild of diffs). I figured I would ask before I open them up.
Check out this video I made showing how to shim these diffs and which gears I've found to hold up best. It's all listed in the beginning of the video. Hope it helps Sir!!

Last edited:

Subtlebeast

Thanks for the link. Differentials are back together. I am replacing the bearings on the center differential now. Thanks all for the help.

G-Man

Thanks for the link. Differentials are back together. I am replacing the bearings on the center differential now. Thanks all for the help.
Look into the aluminum center diff mounts Redcat offers, much stronger than the plastic. Also that CD needs shimmed properly too for the mesh to the brakeshaft pinion. That process had me pulling my hair out. You know the drill unbolt shim, rebolt up chech mesh, repeat. Took forever...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online