• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Is it a clutch issue or gear issue? (Redcat Rampage MT)

RampageRage

Hello All!

I want to thank you in advance for taking a moment in reading on the issue that I'm having!

I have a RedCat Rampage MT that once every few months I play with.

Just recently, I successfully started the truck with a single pull and as usual gave it about three minutes to warm up. Once it was done warming up I applied throttle and noticed that although the engine was increasing in RPM accordingly, the truck wasn't moving anywhere. Prior to this occurring, I was using the truck about a month ago and I noticed the same symptom but after one or two seconds something would engage in the truck would speed forward; it was basically a delayed engagement of the throttle for whatever reason.

So to put it in clear terms, the issue started as my giving transmitter input with throttle, there being a one or two second delay and then a quick engagement of power as the truck sped forward. Now my present issue is that I give transmitter input with throttle and the motor just increases in RPM and the truck doesn't move forward at all.

Using the information above does anyone have a clear idea what the culprit might be?

Thanks all!

Kefir

Quick Note to Add:

I just noticed that I can't easily roll the truck forward with the engine off. Doesn't budge. Thinking sticking clutch now. Should I pick up a new clutch and spring?

Last edited:

Dusty

Have you pulled the motor and inspected the clutch ? It it doesn’t role freely check all drive train from clutch to diffs . Not sure how old or much use total your rig has but in checking all the gears don’t forget to check the bearings

G-Man

Hello All!

I want to thank you in advance for taking a moment in reading on the issue that I'm having!

I have a RedCat Rampage MT that once every few months I play with.

Just recently, I successfully started the truck with a single pull and as usual gave it about three minutes to warm up. Once it was done warming up I applied throttle and noticed that although the engine was increasing in RPM accordingly, the truck wasn't moving anywhere. Prior to this occurring, I was using the truck about a month ago and I noticed the same symptom but after one or two seconds something would engage in the truck would speed forward; it was basically a delayed engagement of the throttle for whatever reason.

So to put it in clear terms, the issue started as my giving transmitter input with throttle, there being a one or two second delay and then a quick engagement of power as the truck sped forward. Now my present issue is that I give transmitter input with throttle and the motor just increases in RPM and the truck doesn't move forward at all.

Using the information above does anyone have a clear idea what the culprit might be?

Thanks all!

Kefir

Quick Note to Add:

I just noticed that I can't easily roll the truck forward with the engine off. Doesn't budge. Thinking sticking clutch now. Should I pick up a new clutch and spring?
Sounds like your brakes are stuck on or hanging up
If it was a broken clutch spring, when you hand push the truck it would rotate the engine around and you would hear the compression of the engine come out the pipe. Also if broken spring it would stall anything above idle, it may not even idle at all. It is just like trying to start a manual shift car in gear without pushing in the clutch.

Petrolheadz100

More than likely its a clutch problem. If it would accelerat witbout throttle then clutch spring, if it doesn't roll forward with the engine off/on check servo position if there is anh brake applied. Also mentioned above last resort would be a siezed upper gearplate bearing that is siezed and since the rpms get high it forces it to friction spin...your problem is defINATELY one of these....let us know

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts