• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Idle problems and hard to start

dansmg

I have a Rampage MT that will not idle worth anything and is hard to start. Have tried alot of things. New coil, 990 carb, 8000 rpm clutch spring, new plug, new fuel lines, ect.

Anyone have any ideas?

Have gone through 2 pull starters, Am trying a GTB Rotostart right now.

G

Is your tank vented? Have you checked for air leaks? Both will make it impossible to tune.

Ildy666

Look at the plastic intake.mine warped and caused all the same problems ur having.

dansmg

re-plumbed the tank and made sure the cap is venting. Plastic intake? good thing to check. I did tighten the bolts but havn't tried to run yet. DDM thought maybe head gasket...

G

dansmg said:
re-plumbed the tank and made sure the cap is venting. Plastic intake? good thing to check. I did tighten the bolts but havn't tried to run yet. DDM thought maybe head gasket...
The head gaskets can fail on the two bolt engines, especially if a head bolt loosens up.

dansmg

Will check that out also. Thanks.

alfred e numan

if you have a leak @ the intake and try to tighten the bolts down to reseal- chances are, its just gonna leak more. the plastic will warp-

alfred e numan

Ildy666 said:
+1 on head gasket problems.i had same issues with them.
i had repeated leaks on the 2 bolt engines until i went to ddm graphite- stainless steel- trick is to this type of gasket- ya gotta torque- and idle a little bit-retorque- run the car a few moments- retorque agan- the graphite has to settle into place.- this worked for me anyways-- I use no loktite on the bolts- I use this type of bolts- HPI # 15438. wide head torx screw. m-5 x 20 mm. no washers-just the bolts.

Deluge

Have you double checked your needle settings? For the 990, I set both the HSN and the LSN to 1 1/4. Then tune from there. Might want to raise the idle a bit, as well.

dansmg

Guantanamo Joe said:
Ive had head gasket issues... during any run time, did you ever notice it all of a sudden high idling?
Idle is all over the place.

Took head off and gasket only half the gasket is left. Will be replacing that, also might go ahead and replace crankcase gasket also. And also carb manifold. My guess is that all this was wrong ever since new...

dansmg

Well here I am, with the truck 3/4 of the way apart. Head gasket is bad. Only about half of it left. Replacing head and also crankcase gasket. Of course fixing anything else as it comes along. I guess a little tear down maintainence is a good thing. Finding lots of loose screws. It will be better than mew when I get done with it.

dansmg

dansmg said:
Well here I am, with the truck 3/4 of the way apart. Head gasket is bad. Only about half of it left. Replacing head and also crankcase gasket. Of course fixing anything else as it comes along. I guess a little tear down maintainence is a good thing. Finding lots of loose screws. It will be better than mew when I get done with it.
Crankcase bearings are bad also. Will have a new engine when it is is done. I do believe the motor was a lemon to begin with. Oh well. Learning how to rebuild an engine.

dansmg

cy - hy compatibility

Well, I will not run. the only thing that I can figure out why is that when I was replacing the bearings I cracked the crankcase, imageine that. So I bought a cy crankcase and still using the hy head. Now the piston does not come down far enough to let fuel in the combustion chamber. cy case must be a little different than the hy case. Magneto gap is closer but still enough gap to get spark. Was thinking maybe putting another head gasket on to raise the head. It is not off by much. I can almost see top of piston. Ring is clearly visible through intake. About ready to buy a new engine, but it is driving me crazy not getting this one to run. Please... any ideas...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts