• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

I know, I know but had to ask

cable97526

Hey guys I have seen the jap remakes of the baja 5B and something that looks like a rampage on ebay now for between 380-500 with a 30cc motor! I know there reproductions but from what I can see and read about the fake 5b is that all the parts for the regular 5b will fit for replacement. Just wondering what you guys thought because I wouldn't mind adding a 5b fakey to the stable for that kind of money. Also I know on the HPI forums they talk very badly about them, and tell everyone not to buy one because they are "jap made crap" but I remember our rigs being descirbed the very same way, so please don't flame.

Clubin

Banned
I would never buy a rip off of another company. IMO, if you want a 5b, just suck it up and buy one, it will always be a 5b even till the day you decide to sell it. If those "clones are worth that new, what are t hey going to be worth used? Why don't you buy a used 5b?

kryptonite

YOU'VE BEEN FLAMED!! no really. the problem on hbf with the fakey 5b is that it is a rip off. stolen work. somebody elses engineering and they profit. some say its not right. i don't really care. i would buy one, but i allready have an ss. and someone correct me.. our rig is not a clone of anything. im pretty sure its straght from redcat. i do own a clone and i freakin love it. but just remember that it takes some trail and error to get them right. and i think that they are for the more(not meaning you) experianced 5th scale rc'ers.. they have so many problem that it discourages our newcomers and they don't get the real enjoyment of large scale rc'ing. i think if someone has the time, money and stamina, clones make for great projects. couse they ARE work. there is a thread on largescaleforum.com from "bigger is better".. he is doing a clone 5b project with his kid. (awsome).. it shows all the ups and down on them. they are definatly far from plug-n-play. i simply think they make good projects for "my" budget. and depending on how resourcefull you are and your parts invontory they can easly cost just as much as a "true" brand without all the flaming. what i mean by 'project" is that of course everything on them is of cheap quality. bashing is limited to 5 minute a peace till everything is sorted out. so you have an idea, it took me almost a year an nearly $1000.00 to get my cloned fg sportsline up to par. was it worth it? for me ya. had a blast. with everything including the ride, im at $1300 and im competing with guys that have $3000.00 rolloing chassis. i would really enjoy doing it with another model, but im saving for another "rage" mt..

cable97526

Clubin said:
I would never buy a rip off of another company. IMO, if you want a 5b, just suck it up and buy one, it will always be a 5b even till the day you decide to sell it. If those "clones are worth that new, what are t hey going to be worth used? Why don't you buy a used 5b?
Ok Again these rigs are $379.00 shipped to your door! I can't find a used baja for even half that shipped. I don't care what it's worth used because nothing is worth what you paid for it. For example I'm selling my FG for less than half of what I have into it. So tell me who wouldn't buy this car for $180.00? I mean think about it what rc on the shelf can you buy that even compares? Again I will state that our honored and favored Rampages are also refered to as cheap crap, but yet we still support them.

kryptonite

clubin has a good point. if you would be looking for a second reliable rig, used is a good way to go. buying a used 5th scale isnt like getting a used nitro. those were disasters! opionans are just that. opiniens.(just sound it out, i cant spell!!) PLEASE FUTURE POSTERS: try not to turn this thread into a bashing ceromony. keep it simple. i have seen these go way out of hand..

kryptonite

cable97526 said:
Ok Again these rigs are $379.00 shipped to your door! I can't find a used baja for even half that shipped. I don't care what it's worth used because nothing is worth what you paid for it. For example I'm selling my FG for less than half of what I have into it. So tell me who wouldn't buy this car for $180.00? I mean think about it what rc on the shelf can you buy that even compares? Again I will state that our honored and favored Rampages are also refered to as cheap crap, but yet we still support them.
CABLE. it comes down to ethics and morals. not saying me and you don't have any:rolleyes:, but remember, most clones are STOLEN PROPERTY. (my opinion) some people may get upset that they worked for 2 years on a project just to have somone else duplicate it over night..

mooman007uk

Banned
and someone correct me.. our rig is not a clone of anything. im pretty sure its straght from redcat.
you are correct,the rampage , whilst having some interchangable parts with the mcd, is not a clone of anything...it is the real deal just as smartechs titan C5 and thunderbolt (though the bolt is half fg clone really).

The hpi clones are not jap crap..they're chinese...if they made in japan they would probably be better than the genuine hpi Malaysian made 5b...jap crap went out in the 80's it's now superior to most stuff made anywhere...Why do you think harley's new gen engines are so good...yep designed in Japan, so the iconic american iron was made reliable by the japanese:D (after the japs design a chassis for harley they might actually go round corners:eek:)

I'm not for or against clones, I personally wouldn't buy one myself but it opens doors for others that otherwise couldn't get into largescale due to the cost. If you can afford it buy the name brand as the quality is better if not buy a clone and upgrade to genuine parts as it breaks.

Clones in principle are unethical but in todays world ethics, respect and doing the right thing seem to have been forgotten...damn shame really.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts