• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How to charge battery without removing it from compartment?

machinebike

Anyone know the best way to charge the battery while its still in the compartment to avoid having to keep taking out those allen bolts?

Also, anyone know how long the battery lasts?

Should I have a back up?

RampageHopUps

It is dangerous doing it that way, but most people do it anyway. Some people just let a loop of wire hang out and disconnect it to charge. Others use an airplane type Jack that bolts into the box. The stock battery will last around 3!tanks. Most people upgrade to a 5000 battery.

machinebike

RampageHopUps said:
It is dangerous doing it that way, but most people do it anyway. Some people just let a loop of wire hang out and disconnect it to charge. Others use an airplane type Jack that bolts into the box. The stock battery will last around 3!tanks. Most people upgrade to a 5000 battery.
Thanks, why is it dangerous?

machinebike

Ice_2k said:
This is how I do it:http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?p=154163

Keep in mind that the battery gets quite hot while charging, so it would be better not to leave it unattended (overnight). I always charge it outside. No problems so far.
That explains why its dangerous.

What about lining the inside of the compartment with tin foil or something equivalent?

Or maybe there is a way to put a mini hinge on the compartment door to make it easier to get open or something like that.

r a mini door/vent with a table top fan blowing air on it while charging.

or ... 2 mini latch brackets for easy lid release (like you see on a tool box but obviously smaller).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

I think a battery box cover that opens without using a screwdriver (which is how it should be ffs) would be all that's needed. Lining the inside of the box with tin foil sounds like it's gonna trap the heat in :)

Anyway, I've charged it like this lots of times, the battery box cover is barely warm to the touch and the heat isn't high enough to damage the other electronics in there.

Phill

machinebike said:
That explains why its dangerous.What about lining the inside of the compartment with tin foil or something equivalent?

Or maybe there is a way to put a mini hinge on the compartment door to make it easier to get open or something like that.

r a mini door/vent with a table top fan blowing air on it while charging.

or ... 2 mini latch brackets for easy lid release (like you see on a tool box but obviously smaller).
The question is "How much is your Redcat,shed,garage or house worth if it catches fire?"

RampageHopUps

Everything is OK with charging in the box, until it isn't. A latch idea is good though. I wonder if I could 3D print something like that.

Phill

RampageHopUps said:
Everything is OK with charging in the box, until it isn't. A latch idea is good though. I wonder if I could 3D print something like that.
Something like the box in my Thunder Tiger would be good.

It's two holes with a long clip.

Ice_2k

I would definetely buy a battery box for the redcat similar to the one on the thunder tiger mta4. Having 4 screws on it is simply stupid :(

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts