• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How Do U Like Your Rampage Truck

big ed

Want Some Feed Back Before I Buy One. I Have A SAvage And Baja 5t. Like The Baja But Want A 4x4 To. Please Give Me Some Feed Back Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

speedbaboon

I have an MT and had a 5B.

Just ran it for the first couple of tanks ... first impression: BETTER than Baja !!! I have no regret at all selling my 5B

I had rear DOM on the 5B, good torque & power but hate the s*!t of it keeps spinning around.

Rampage is still currently running stock engine and pipe, take-off is not impressive but top speed is not bad for stockers. I was impressed :eek: ... don't need to ask about handling, it's awesome ... my MT would do donuts on asphalt, gravel and grass, running top speed and did a hard turn, all 4 stick to earth (i use engine oil 50w for the shocks and upgraded longer springs)

so cant wait what the 28.5 headkit and a x-can will do (i prefer x-can for the noise factor and protection too)

Last edited by a moderator:

str8jailbird

speedbaboon said:
I have an MT and had a 5B.
Just ran it for the first couple of tanks ... first impression: BETTER than Baja !!! I have no regret at all selling my 5B

I had rear DOM on the 5B, good torque & power but hate the s*!t of it keeps spinning around.

Rampage is still currently running stock engine and pipe, take-off is not impressive but top speed is not bad for stockers. I was impressed :eek: ... don't need to ask about handling, it's awesome ... my MT would do donuts on asphalt, gravel and grass, running top speed and did a hard turn, all 4 stick to earth (i use engine oil 50w for the shocks and upgraded longer springs)

so cant wait what the 28.5 headkit and a x-can will do (i prefer x-can for the noise factor and protection too)
It is awesome. I can't say that I like it more than my Baja, that's apples and oranges. I have a rear dom on my Baja (not trying to turn this into a Baja thread) and had the same problem. I solved it by using Hostile Knobbies on the rear as well as doing the reverse clutch shoe mod. Better hook up since the engine doesn't have to wind out to engage.

I love the Rampage with out a doubt. Truly an awesome machine. My top speed with the 28.5 and stock exhaust (waiting for a Sprint77 rear dom) is in the mid thirties. Pretty impressive when you consider the truck itself weighs in in the mid thirties.

kdfi

I had a 5b too and sold it for the TT5. The Rampage is a lot more fun to drive nothing like having a 4x4. I have no regrets in selling my 5b. The Rampage is less durable than the 5b. I broke a shock shaft on the 3rd jump and it was only about 2 or 3 feet high. Upgrade to Phat dads shock kits or replace the stock shocks with 5b ss front shocks for the rear and a set of front 5b ss inserts with the Rampage rear casings for the front and the shock problem will go away. With a few more upgrade parts you'll be fine..HTH

Bryan 70546

I have both also but unlike some of the above lol , I will never sale my 5B because it just spins out its 2 wheel thats what happens . The rampage is one hell of a tough machine its a blast to drive but just like other 1/5 takes a few cheap mods to make her just right . handles great and the best part its cheap and cheap to fix and parts are easy to get . You wont be dissapointed in the redcat .

big ed

Thanks for the advice

I called a hobby shop and he bashed the rampage. he said It would be the dumbest thing ive done by buying the rampage. Told me that parts were hard to find and it breaks all the time. Its good to hear from a owner. So how much will it cost for all the upgrades.

Bryan 70546

big ed said:
I called a hobby shop and he bashed the rampage. he said It would be the dumbest thing ive done by buying the rampage. Told me that parts were hard to find and it breaks all the time. Its good to hear from a owner. So how much will it cost for all the upgrades.
Well your hobby shop owner probley needs to get his head out of his ass because he apparently he don't know shit about the rampage sorry for my temper but all wants you to do is spend your hard earned money on something more expensive and not some thing cheaper , The rampage is a very durable machine , it easy to work on parts are available all over the net and you get some of the best customer support you can ask for From Darin with Redcat and Mr Rob who is the owner of this site and also sales the redcat line.

Bryan 70546

big ed said:
If you buy the truck or buggy from rampage hopups you get the upgrade kit that contains most of the needed upgrades for free .

str8jailbird

I have to second that about the LHS owner. I also went through that with my LHS. They are supposedly a Redcat "authorized dealer" but couldn't give me any info other than what was online about the truck. Hence they tried to shove a 5T (already have a 5B SS), FG and MCD were reccomended. Hence this forum (thank all of you for your help Mooman, Kryto, Kaz, Rob, Sprint, etc.) to help out with the out of box upgrades. This truck is almost a tank, the open chassis provides plenty of room to work on it (unlike my Baja) and it is a huge joy to drive and beat. Granted my Baja will dust my Ramp but it is an SS with a rear dom so the power to weight ratio is much greater. All in all this is quickly becoming my favorite vehicle. I will never (serious about this) part with my Baja and the way it looks I will never part with my Rampage. I think the one major thing about the Rampage that irritates me are the bolts and screws. They seem to be made of low grade steel. Not a big deal I already ordered a screw kit from RC Screwz to remedy that. I have to hand it to HPI though, they use a much higher quality steel in their screws/bolts, it's just too bad that my Ramp can roll right over my Baja without a hiccup! :D

kryptonite

str8jailbird said:
I have to second that about the LHS owner. I also went through that with my LHS. They are supposedly a Redcat "authorized dealer" but couldn't give me any info other than what was online about the truck. Hence they tried to shove a 5T (already have a 5B SS), FG and MCD were reccomended. Hence this forum (thank all of you for your help Mooman, Kryto, Kaz, Rob, Sprint, etc.) to help out with the out of box upgrades. This truck is almost a tank, the open chassis provides plenty of room to work on it (unlike my Baja) and it is a huge joy to drive and beat. Granted my Baja will dust my Ramp but it is an SS with a rear dom so the power to weight ratio is much greater. All in all this is quickly becoming my favorite vehicle. I will never (serious about this) part with my Baja and the way it looks I will never part with my Rampage. I think the one major thing about the Rampage that irritates me are the bolts and screws. They seem to be made of low grade steel. Not a big deal I already ordered a screw kit from RC Screwz to remedy that. I have to hand it to HPI though, they use a much higher quality steel in their screws/bolts, it's just too bad that my Ramp can roll right over my Baja without a hiccup! :D
i agree with the hardware. its not the best. ive been trying to be carefull with the screws and stuff. its weird couse we (I) used to complain about the rtr's. nobody really ever uses loc-tite, so you have take it apart anyway, wich is always fun, but then redcat takes it to the extreme and uses RED LOC-TITE!! and i bitched about that too. you cant please eveyone..

mooman007uk

Banned
Best screws to get are tony's screws they're grade 8 and don't strip. the stock screws will hold up with decent drivers..ie hudy or schumacher I've only manged to strip one that had the dreaded red loctite which was applied liberally to random screws.

I find ss screws too soft so quit using them quite a while back.

chucked

The rampage will need a few upgrades out of the box. I finally drove a 5t the other day, it is uncontrollable compared to the rampage. Took me a few tries to even bring it back to me.

kryptonite

chucked said:
The rampage will need a few upgrades out of the box. I finally drove a 5t the other day, it is uncontrollable compared to the rampage. Took me a few tries to even bring it back to me.
ya i agree. it takes some getting used to. my brother cant even get mine around the parking lot.

badboy2

i was like that with my 5t also but i guessed im just used to driving 4wd..im also looking to get a redcat but im torn between the mt or the buggy.

on the lhs issue the guy just don't carry it thats y they push u to get what they have.

Sprint 77

Contributor
I second Striaght8jailbirds comment on the baja is to tight to work on. I have a Baja a FG a couple FG Clones and some 1/4 scale sprints and the Rampage is easy to work on. The baja needs more motor so you can throttle turn it with power , because it pushes so bad the Rampages just handle especially on short corner tracks.

AlphaDog777

first off I hate when stupid arses talk crap on redcat.... Most people have never owned one an most hobbyshops have never even seen one.... Except to glance and refuse servive...Don't allow a bunch of arses taint your mind... I am the supervisor at Tracy ca hobby town... We are a redcat dealer...... I have 6!!! 6! 6! If it was crap why would I by so many?....grrrr... I hate, haters!!!!

Btw you can't beat what you get for your money on these ...NO JOKE!

C.B.

redcat is coming up more and more aftermarket parts and the cars are more and more

affordable

C.B.

alphadog are you guys gonna start stocking parts for the redcat 1/5 scales?

i was in there awhile back but you guys didnt have anything i cant find any hobby shop in cali that has redcat stuff in 1/5 scale

oh sorry for jumpin off subject

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.