• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Hostile Boot Install for MT CVD

pfrederi1

Ok so i fgot the hostile boots to fix the issue CVD pins keep falling out even after locktiting it in there pretty good. Im having poroblems installing the boots. Its not turning out to be the fix i thought it would be. I followed the video on how to install the boots using a needle nose pliers to stretch the small openining but found out that it also stretches the big opening. So now when i try toi install its overstretched and does not fit snug over the axle. Coupled with packing grease in the axle theres no way of keeping that area free of grease so the boot is stretched too big and theres grease on the axle where the boot needs to fit snug. i tried cleaning but theres grease all over so grease still gets back on there.

Any ideas on what i can use to secure this loose boot to the axle? i thought about zip tie but theres not enough clearance in there for a zip tie and coupled with the grease i dnt think it will hold. Or is there another way to get the boot installed without stretching it out?

Thanks

Phill

I use a very small zip tie.
Stretching is the only way to get then on as far as I know.
You could try taking the pin out before sliding the boot over ?

sunoco

are you looking at how shreadhead installs on the baja 5-b ? on ewe tube ? you tube- oops. sorry.-- i have found for me- the important thing is to have the handle ends of needle nose on the edge if a table- one end on top of the table- the other end of pliers on a table with edges about 3" thick- this allows me to hold the pliers in place better-- The hostile ub-55 grey boots are stiff- the black rubber ones- including the stock hpi boots for the smaller axles would be more e-z to install - but more prone to ripping-- - I think ddm may? have some boots for the f-g brand cars-- smaller in the area you are having fitment issues. yea, try installing hostile ub-55 grey boots on hpi super heavy duty dog bones-- its a thrill a minute---

sunoco

there are about 4 or 5 styles of set screws- the ones we have are called dog style set screws.-- i have a small fine stone grinding wheel- i place these set screws in the long end of a non ball end hex wrench- very-very lightly grind the set screws flat-- you gotta hold the hex wrench with one hand-- with your free hand- thumb & pointer finger holding set screw & allen wrench-- go slow- when your finger & thumb get hot-- do not release- just back off the grinder a couple seconds-- For me-- flat ended set-grub screws hold better--your results may vary----

pfrederi1

are you looking at how shreadhead installs on the baja 5-b ? on ewe tube ? you tube- oops. sorry.-- i have found for me- the important thing is to have the handle ends of needle nose on the edge if a table- one end on top of the table- the other end of pliers on a table with edges about 3" thick- this allows me to hold the pliers in place better-- The hostile ub-55 grey boots are stiff- the black rubber ones- including the stock hpi boots for the smaller axles would be more e-z to install - but more prone to ripping-- - I think ddm may? have some boots for the f-g brand cars-- smaller in the area you are having fitment issues. yea, try installing hostile ub-55 grey boots on hpi super heavy duty dog bones-- its a thrill a minute---

Hey Sunoco
Yes I purchased the Black hostile boots from DDM. And yes the video i watched was the shreadhead video on how to install it. so are you saying the grey boots is the ones i shoulda got?

pfrederi1

I use a very small zip tie.
Stretching is the only way to get then on as far as I know.
You could try taking the pin out before sliding the boot over ?

Hey Phill
Yeah i was thinking of trying those tiny zipties (black) but the knob sticks up. has that worked for you? whats your experience when using that setup. im curious to know how you got the boot to not slide off with the grease on there. That small ziptie wont be strong enough under bashing i dnt think but let me know.

Thx

sunoco

the grey hostile ub-55 boots are thicker, much harder to install. they are more durable and less prone to twisting however

Phill

Hey Phill
Yeah i was thinking of trying those tiny zipties (black) but the knob sticks up. has that worked for you? whats your experience when using that setup. im curious to know how you got the boot to not slide off with the grease on there. That small ziptie wont be strong enough under bashing i dnt think but let me know.

Thx

I used HPI boots and after pushing them into place put the zip tie on the axle itself to stop the boot slipping back.
Works for me.

pfrederi1

Thank you guys for your input as always but i think im doing away with the hostile boot option. I ordered a carbon pipe tubing from ebay that someone recommended (forgot who). It looks like it will be the fix im looking for. It fits sorta snug over the axle so ill just need to cut it to size (width). Only need something to hold it in place now. I think same person that recommended said to use automotive body panel adhesive.

For right now though it seems to holding up stock. Funny thing is the grease i packed in there seems to be working well with no boots or anything and the pins have not fallen out yet. Ill still use the carbon tubing though once i get the body panel adhesive. if anyone knows once i install with adhesive is it hard to get free if i need to disassemble??

Phill

Thank you guys for your input as always but i think im doing away with the hostile boot option. I ordered a carbon pipe tubing from ebay that someone recommended (forgot who). It looks like it will be the fix im looking for. It fits sorta snug over the axle so ill just need to cut it to size (width). Only need something to hold it in place now. I think same person that recommended said to use automotive body panel adhesive.

For right now though it seems to holding up stock. Funny thing is the grease i packed in there seems to be working well with no boots or anything and the pins have not fallen out yet. Ill still use the carbon tubing though once i get the body panel adhesive. if anyone knows once i install with adhesive is it hard to get free if i need to disassemble??

If you don't have boots the grease will pick up dust and grit and work like grinding paste.
If you're going without boots it's best to wash the grease out.

sunoco

use this-- honda assembly lube-- paste. its spendy, but it stays where you put it. it has a very high percentage of moly. just a small dab is needed on the wear areas of gears- dog bone pins- cvd s. if its dust bowl conditions- you would be better off with nothing unless you have boots covering these areas.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.