• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

hopups

pipeous

Hop ups are good and bad. I personally won't use aluminum lower arms on anything because you have to have something that breaks in a crash. arms are cheap and easy to replace. if aluminum, you end up ripping apart bulkheads and/or ripping suspension pin holders, bending suspension pins. I will boil my lower arms in water to help in durability (most plastic parts benefit from this)

aluminum is good for places you don't want flex, like hinge pin retainers, the gear plate, dif locations, motor mounts, bearing carriers and such.

just think, if I have aluminum here and I crash, and the aluminum won't break, what will it take out instead.... and will the aluminum bend because you can't really bend it back or it gets weak in that spot and will bend easier next time

jaysyourhandyman

thanks

pipeous said:
Hop ups are good and bad. I personally won't use aluminum lower arms on anything because you have to have something that breaks in a crash. arms are cheap and easy to replace. if aluminum, you end up ripping apart bulkheads and/or ripping suspension pin holders, bending suspension pins. I will boil my lower arms in water to help in durability (most plastic parts benefit from this)
aluminum is good for places you don't want flex, like hinge pin retainers, the gear plate, dif locations, motor mounts, bearing carriers and such.

just think, if I have aluminum here and I crash, and the aluminum won't break, what will it take out instead.... and will the aluminum bend because you can't really bend it back or it gets weak in that spot and will bend easier next time
thanks for all the great info

but i didnt know about the boiling of plastic parts:confused:

do you have more info?? :)

pipeous

I did answer in a pm, but will post here too...

boiling parts helps a couple ways. in injection molding, once in a while you get air bubbles in the parts. this is a weak spot. boiling the part helps either move or split the bubbles up lessening the chance of failure in that spot.

it also makes the part more flexible so less chance of breaking. I like to dye rims and that sure has helped. I can think of a few examples. most recently was my kyosho mini inferno 09. the stock rims are absolute crap. anyone who owns one knows. they crack and fall apart. a few of us have them. I dyed 2 sets of rims and gave a set to a friend. both sets are still in use today and we have a pile of the pre glued stockers all busted and cracked

cable97526

How long would you reccomend boiling the parts for? I remember the days of old with the traxxas hawk with the white nylon arms we used to dye blue and whenever we acheived the color we wanted we pulled them out.

jaysyourhandyman

cable97526 said:
How long would you reccomend boiling the parts for? I remember the days of old with the traxxas hawk with the white nylon arms we used to dye blue and whenever we acheived the color we wanted we pulled them out.
i was told about 10 mn

:)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts