• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Help with 8s ESC motor timing/frequency settings

daravelli

Hi guys,

Just finishing up a new Chimera EP build (my first 1/5th scale project!). I'm going to be running 8s on the stock 980kv motor using a 250a kershaw designs speed control. Can anyone tell me what frequency and timing I should be running at? Choices on frequency are 8hz 16hz 32hz. I'm also planning on upgrading to the leopard 5692 1340kv motor at some point as well, so wondering about those same settings using that motor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

TTH

In my experience with brushless boats in the 10s-12s setups I always used low timing on 2 pole motors. Your Leopard motor is a 4 pole motor which could use a little timing advance not much. The best thing to do is try at the lowest timing and measure your heat on motor and ESC after a set amount of time ex. 1min-2min-3min.....Then advance your timing to the next setting and measure the heat at the same time values. While doing this testing it would also help to have a GPS to even see if the timing gives you any additional performance or will it just be heat build up.

daravelli

Thanks for the response. I'm going to start at 3 degrees for timing and see how that goes. As far as the frequency (PWM) setting, I'm just not sure. I found a post on helifreak that stated a formula for calculating PWM: KV x Volts (nominal you are using) x Pole count / 20. This was for helis though... so not sure it would still apply. Seems like it still could. If anyone has any further input on PWM frequency, I'd appreciate it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts