• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Help, Rampage MT won't move!

nimblecook

Now my issue is the truck wont budge, its like the drivetrain is completely seized up. Starts and idles fine but the gears are all locked up, and it wont move AT ALL. I've removed gear covers and check and double checked for obstructions and there are none, the brakes are free and not locked, so my only conclusion is the motor or drivetrain itself. How it happened: we were just running a few staright aways by the house, and it just stopped moving, engine running, and has been froze up since. I've had this truck for about 3months now and its been fun, constant work , more than any other RC I've ever owned, and this is pushing my patients with this truck. PLEASE HELP!!!

nimblecook

Thanks, I'll tear her a part in the next few days and see. No hurry, pretty frustrated with the truck, more time in break-in and repairing than enjoying.

designed2survive

The engine won't idle freely if your clutch is broken and your gears are locked.

Before you tear into anything, check that there is visually nothing stopping the center driveshafts including the drive cups from spinning. The whole drivetrain (from gear plate to differentials) is connected as a single rotating unit. If there is blockage anywhere within, it simply won't rotate.

If everything looks clear:

1- check the gear plate gears (by removing it) and free spinning it).

If it spins freely,

2- check your gears inside the differentials (front and rear)

nimblecook

Well I checked the drivetrain and basically every moving part for any type of obstruction, and came up empty, all shafts are still froze up. So I got ahold of Redcat, told them my issues, and told them my next step was to start opening her up and digging deeper. The tech said to hold up and send it to them, I pay to ship it there and they (Redcat) will take care of parts, labor, and return shipping. I couldn't ask for a better response, I do like to tinker and problem solve, but also have 4 kids and a business to keep a float, time/expertise is an issue. Props to Redcat for sticking by their kickass truck, and great customer service. Both are hard to find anymore.

nimblecook

Well Redcat got back to me today on my MT and all is good, here's their response:

Update for Case 4**** - "Truck locked up."

Hi Jeff

We received the truck the other day and we were able to get our hands on the truck this afternoon. We found that one of the brake disc was seized to the brake pad. Once we popped that free the truck was able to roll freely. We adjusted the brakes a little bit and you should be set to go on. We will be shipping the truck back to you. If you have any question feel free to ask.

Thanks,
CJ

Phill

Well Redcat got back to me today on my MT and all is good, here's their response:

Update for Case 4**** - "Truck locked up."

Hi Jeff

We received the truck the other day and we were able to get our hands on the truck this afternoon. We found that one of the brake disc was seized to the brake pad. Once we popped that free the truck was able to roll freely. We adjusted the brakes a little bit and you should be set to go on. We will be shipping the truck back to you. If you have any question feel free to ask.

Thanks,
CJ
Good to see a happy ending

nimblecook

The damn truck wasn't fixed, a "warranty repair" means they fixed or replaced bad parts, well they didn't. The kids and I were all excited to take the MT camping this weekend for the holidays, so we did a test run today, started out great, then you hit the brakes, and I'm back to a $1000 paper weight. Everything was immediately locked back up, and the steering servos (one is brand new) click horribly when turning, and are very slow, not a previous issue, but is now. We sold 4 Arrma's (all our vehicles) to get this truck, and now we have nothing, thanks Redcat.

designed2survive

The damn truck wasn't fixed, a "warranty repair" means they fixed or replaced bad parts, well they didn't. The kids and I were all excited to take the MT camping this weekend for the holidays, so we did a test run today, started out great, then you hit the brakes, and I'm back to a $1000 paper weight. Everything was immediately locked back up, and the steering servos (one is brand new) click horribly when turning, and are very slow, not a previous issue, but is now. We sold 4 Arrma's (all our vehicles) to get this truck, and now we have nothing, thanks Redcat.

@nimblecook

Sorry to hear your truck is still giving you headache.

You need to take it apart and see what is going on. I'm not trying to be a douch but that's the only way you will know how to fix it when things go wrong, and they will, it happens all the time. Once you get accounted with the inner of it, you'll have a much fun running it and fixing it.

As for the servo, you said one is brand new, what brand and model did you get? If it's an hitec, it will be covered under warranty.

Take it one step at the time. Take it apart and check to see what's going on.

nimblecook

I know you're not trying to be a douche, I'm just really frustrated. I've had many RC's and get the play.. break.. fix.. play routine, this truck is just on the constant repair side and sucking the joy out of it. I've already had Redcat send a brand new servo, which was replaced and is already bad after one run, clicking and rough turning, and I think it killed the other. Then the brake issues are crazy, I paid $100 to ship for another warranty fix, and they popped the pad with a screw driver and sent it back, first run, and it was back to where it was before I wasted a $100 to ship it. Now while still under warranty I cant use it, and need to rip it apart. Before I shipped it that was the plan, to open her up, but was told no, send it back and we'll fix it. Not fixed, and $100 lighter in the pocket. Like I said I'm just real frustrated and disappointed, less than a 1.5 gallons through it. Redcats support and service were quick to respond and offer service, it just didn't help, so don't think I'm bashing them please.

designed2survive

I know you're not trying to be a douche, I'm just really frustrated. I've had many RC's and get the play.. break.. fix.. play routine, this truck is just on the constant repair side and sucking the joy out of it. I've already had Redcat send a brand new servo, which was replaced and is already bad after one run, clicking and rough turning, and I think it killed the other. Then the brake issues are crazy, I paid $100 to ship for another warranty fix, and they popped the pad with a screw driver and sent it back, first run, and it was back to where it was before I wasted a $100 to ship it. Now while still under warranty I cant use it, and need to rip it apart. Before I shipped it that was the plan, to open her up, but was told no, send it back and we'll fix it. Not fixed, and $100 lighter in the pocket. Like I said I'm just real frustrated and disappointed, less than a 1.5 gallons through it. Redcats support and service were quick to respond and offer service, it just didn't help, so don't think I'm bashing them please.

@nimblecook

Yeah, that sucks to spend $100 buck and be back to square one. Specially when you were already planning on taking it apart.

As for the servo, sorry to say but you need to go with an aftermarket one. The redcat servos don't last.

nimblecook

Well I did Redcats1/4 turn suggestion and it worked for maybe 5min if that, I'm back to having a useless paper weight. I tried to just pop the pad over, as suggested by Redcat as well, and it did but its still completely locked up, this thing is ridiculous and I'm not happy with my investment at all. I completely understand the drive and repair side of RC's but this is just repair, repair, and no drive or enjoyment. Something needs done, this is stupid ridiculous and I definitely have buyers remorse at this point. I'm venting, and pissed, but I believe at this point I have the right. My 12yr old son, who sold all his RC's (perfectly running ARRMA's) for this paper weight and is nothing but disappointed, and that's has taken my feeling from frustrated to just angry with it. All under warranty time and already wasted $100 on a warranty repair for nothing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online