• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Help! My engine won't engage drivetrain

Haroldbee

HELP! MY ENGINE WON'T ENGAGE DRIVE-TRAIN!

All of a sudden, after a few hours of amazing running, at amazing speeds, my Redcat Rampage, with new Zenoah engine slowed and stopped. From that point throttle application stopped moving the car, and then the engine stopped, and became difficult to restart. I changed the plug, but it didn't keep running until I opened the throttle trim.
I decided that, maybe the carb was leaking; vowed to tighten things later, and focused on the drive train:
In the gear cluster, I found a large set screw missing. I found another set screw missing on the gear shaft passing to the brakes. I replaced both sets screws, and shut everything back up.
I tightened the carb. Replaced a clutch on the engine, and bolted everything back together.
The engine started well enough, but with the highest application of throttle the car doesn't move. I'm baffled. Is there something wrong with the engine? Didn't I put something back together as it ought to have been? By the way, the brakes aren't working too.
HELP!

G-Man

HELP! MY ENGINE WON'T ENGAGE DRIVE-TRAIN!

All of a sudden, after a few hours of amazing running, at amazing speeds, my Redcat Rampage, with new Zenoah engine slowed and stopped. From that point throttle application stopped moving the car, and then the engine stopped, and became difficult to restart. I changed the plug, but it didn't keep running until I opened the throttle trim.
I decided that, maybe the carb was leaking; vowed to tighten things later, and focused on the drive train:
In the gear cluster, I found a large set screw missing. I found another set screw missing on the gear shaft passing to the brakes. I replaced both sets screws, and shut everything back up.
I tightened the carb. Replaced a clutch on the engine, and bolted everything back together.
The engine started well enough, but with the highest application of throttle the car doesn't move. I'm baffled. Is there something wrong with the engine? Didn't I put something back together as it ought to have been? By the way, the brakes aren't working too.
HELP!
Well you found missing grub screws in one area of the drivetrain, I'm guessing more are loose or missing. Did you put the gear mount squares back on to the flats of the layshafts so the flat is visible through grub hole in gear square? Not sure how far you tore the trans gears down.

Haroldbee

Well you found missing grub screws in one area of the drivetrain, I'm guessing more are loose or missing. Did you put the gear mount squares back on to the flats of the layshafts so the flat is visible through grub hole in gear square? Not sure how far you tore the trans gears down.
It was quite easy to see a missing set screw on the central gear, attached to a squared hub. I replaced it, and made sure it went in onto the impression left by the missing set-screw. The gear that ran through the brakes, was loose, so I knew that another set-screw there was missing, that too, was replaced correctly. Admittedly, I did not look further into that brake set-up. You're correct: there may be issues within that brake system, since all braking is lost. Will go deeper into it this week.
But then there's the clutch system: For some reason, the spinning clutch does not engage the clutch bell. (Maybe I should get a new clutch?)

G-Man

It was quite easy to see a missing set screw on the central gear, attached to a squared hub. I replaced it, and made sure it went in onto the impression left by the missing set-screw. The gear that ran through the brakes, was loose, so I knew that another set-screw there was missing, that too, was replaced correctly. Admittedly, I did not look further into that brake set-up. You're correct: there may be issues within that brake system, since all braking is lost. Will go deeper into it this week.
But then there's the clutch system: For some reason, the spinning clutch does not engage the clutch bell. (Maybe I should get a new clutch?)
First try this.. Put the truck on a block and spin the clutch bell by hand as fast as you can, you can see then if all components are functioning. Or with it on the ground, hold the clutch bell with your fingers and try to push it.

Haroldbee

First try this.. Put the truck on a block and spin the clutch bell by hand as fast as you can, you can see then if all components are functioning. Or with it on the ground, hold the clutch bell with your fingers and try to push it.
I'll do the above, as soon as I get back home, my brother. Thanks.

Haroldbee

G-Man... I did both of the bell-hold tests: Propped up and spinning the throttle bell, the gears turn and transfer to the wheels. On the ground, with the throttle-bell gripped tight, the car doesn't move when pushed. It's clear, then, that the drive-train is intact; and the problem HAS to be the clutch, or the engine itself. I'll buy a new clutch, and install it. If THAT doesn't work, then the problem will be with the engine.
But thanks, G-Man. PEACE!

G-Man

G-Man... I did both of the bell-hold tests: Propped up and spinning the throttle bell, the gears turn and transfer to the wheels. On the ground, with the throttle-bell gripped tight, the car doesn't move when pushed. It's clear, then, that the drive-train is intact; and the problem HAS to be the clutch, or the engine itself. I'll buy a new clutch, and install it. If THAT doesn't work, then the problem will be with the engine.
But thanks, G-Man. PEACE!
Right on man! You are in the right direction. The clutch may be worn down. Also the center bolt retaining the clutch holder may have come loose. That will eventually allow the clutch holder to work loose then the engine crank just spins in the holder not turning the clutch. Either way it's in the clutch area it sounds to me.

Haroldbee

Right on man! You are in the right direction. The clutch may be worn down. Also the center bolt retaining the clutch holder may have come loose. That will eventually allow the clutch holder to work loose then the engine crank just spins in the holder not turning the clutch. Either way it's in the clutch area it sounds to me.
I
I took off the old clutch and checked the part ( connected to the flywheel) that spins the clutch. It's firm; not loose. So, it seems the actual clutch IS the problem. I've sent for a new one.
Will give you an update when it has been installed.
Thanks. Peace.

G-Man

I

I took off the old clutch and checked the part ( connected to the flywheel) that spins the clutch. It's firm; not loose. So, it seems the actual clutch IS the problem. I've sent for a new one.
Will give you an update when it has been installed.
Thanks. Peace.
Make sure you use the correct clutch and hardware. Meaning if you use a cy clutch use cy bolts, flat and wave washers. Or if you use Zenoah use Zenoah. The clutch mounting holes are different sizes. I've seen people use the wrong hardware and wonder why it isn't functioning

Haroldbee

Make sure you use the correct clutch and hardware. Meaning if you use a cy clutch use cy bolts, flat and wave washers. Or if you use Zenoah use Zenoah. The clutch mounting holes are different sizes. I've seen people use the wrong hardware and wonder why it isn't functioning

My Redcat Rampage XR is back up and ripping. Thanks to your help, and a lot to blame on my inexperience with 2-stroke engines. Yes! There were some missing set screws in the drive-train. Maybe, there was no need to get a new clutch. Why? After the new clutch arrived, I installed it, but yet the new clutch was not engaging the bell. Admittedly, I was flabbergasted. "What the hell is the problem now?":I whispered to myself. I knew, then, that the problem HAD to be the engine. I began playing with the LOW NEEDLE, and the HIGH NEEDLE... and something happened: Just like that the clutch bell began spinning and the car moving as it formerly did. Was it that my carb settings were too low, to give the Zenoah the grunt, to open the clutch in order that the shoes engaged the clutch bell? We're the needle settings SOMEHOW causing the engine NOT to spool up high enough to put the clutch to work, at one point? To be honest, I'm not even sure what took place. All I know is: initially the clutch was not engaging the bell, never mind how high I revved the engine; and at a later time, it started engaging the bell. I'm happy, yes; but I'm still scratching my head.

G-Man

My Redcat Rampage XR is back up and ripping. Thanks to your help, and a lot to blame on my inexperience with 2-stroke engines. Yes! There were some missing set screws in the drive-train. Maybe, there was no need to get a new clutch. Why? After the new clutch arrived, I installed it, but yet the new clutch was not engaging the bell. Admittedly, I was flabbergasted. "What the hell is the problem now?":I whispered to myself. I knew, then, that the problem HAD to be the engine. I began playing with the LOW NEEDLE, and the HIGH NEEDLE... and something happened: Just like that the clutch bell began spinning and the car moving as it formerly did. Was it that my carb settings were too low, to give the Zenoah the grunt, to open the clutch in order that the shoes engaged the clutch bell? We're the needle settings SOMEHOW causing the engine NOT to spool up high enough to put the clutch to work, at one point? To be honest, I'm not even sure what took place. All I know is: initially the clutch was not engaging the bell, never mind how high I revved the engine; and at a later time, it started engaging the bell. I'm happy, yes; but I'm still scratching my head.
Weird!!! But glad it's going

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online