• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Hardening up the chassis, drivetrain for OBR...

talunceford

So, I've decided to take the plunge and go with a full mod 34cc reed case OBR engine to stick into my Chimera. I've been in contact with Sean at OBR and he said that the chassis can stand one of the reed case G340 series engines if the chassis/drivetrain has been hardened. My question to everyone is what other parts other than the 7075rc plate and aluminum front and rear suspension parts should I consider? Does anyone make aluminum center spool carriers? Bearing carriers for the front and rear drives? Aluminum drive cups for the front? Just curious. Also, I asked Sean if there were any after market gear manufacturers for the redcat gears. He said he'd ask the guy that makes the gears for them if they have thought of producing a set. If they aren't too pricey, I might check into those as well. The gears for redcats aren't produced with the best steel out there. Powder Steel? Seriously? What is that? So, he said he'd inquire about them. Which is totally awesome for a manufacturer to do that. Props to them.

phreerider

the gear plate , is really the load holder for the power. i have run prostock and raceport OBR stuff without issues for brutal all day sessions .

drive train failure is related to shock load and tire weight. if your choice of terrain is really rough, it is going to break.

for the application stock gears are pretty solid. 9-10hp is considerable power for the weight of the unit. for the caliber of bearing, gears, and shafts it would be at or near limits. caliber of design (and of course adding weight in total) would have to increase to be predictably usable. so you have to look at "usable power" performance and reliability are much more enjoyable when balanced.

these units will fly when balanced ...if chronically overpowered it will break and that usually is no fun.

and the "XB" chassis, its got limits, weight and power will twist and crack it.

talunceford

I spoke with Sean and he said that his guy that cuts gears is going to cut a set out of billet. Not sure of what the cost will be. The gear plate is going to be a given. Better bearings for sure. Anything that has factory bearings in it is going to get replaced with something that is much more substantial.

wildstallion

What a bizarre coincidence I just came onto this forum to ask exactly the same question pretty much. In the end I also went for an OBR full mod and have concerns about the drive train holding up. I am already in the middle of a 7075RC build however the gearboxes were out of stock at the time. I also have concerns about the out drives since I read historically they had issues.

RampageHopUps

Please keep in mind, you guys are putting high end motors in a low end truck. It like putting a V8 into a smart car.

talunceford

Last edited by a moderator:

talunceford

What is weird is some of their gears are and some aren't. Or at least it seems that they aren't. Like some of the internal diff gears don't have the same qualities as the transmission gears. So, that just seems odd to me. At any rate, Sean at OBR talked to his peeps that make gears for them and they said that they would make a set. It might be a good thing. Who knows. I have a sinking suspicion that the billet gears will be somewhat stronger. Still trying to decide on what I want to do. A new motor is a definite, but which one is the question ATM.

talunceford

Obr is ordered. Plate is here. Ordered some bearings for some driveline parts. Should have all the parts here next week. Gonna start the teardown this weekend. Gonna end up selling the 30.5 cc. What is a good price for a used motor. Still runs strong. Especially with a jetpro.

talunceford

So, this past weekend was productive as far as the rework of the Chimera. Chassis is torn down, engine is out, found a bad fuel tank seal, aluminum plate is installed, gears on, etc. Found a nice tool to remove stripped hex head screws/grub screws. I do have one question. What is everyone doing to upgrade the drive shafts on their vehicles?

therealrsr

FLM used to produce heavy duty shafts of the proper length for the f/r diff to wheels. Hard to source but they are out there. The fit is fine, only concern I have is the pin in the ball end is a smaller diameter than the stock ones. As far as center diff to f/r diff lengths I have had no luck. If my experience with the truck is representative of the average (I did a COMPLETE tear down before first turnover and replaced/upgraded most parts except diff housing so should be representative of the "average") look for upgraded diff cups. I am on my third rear swap and got frustrated so been gone a while. Full disclosure, I run the 5b sized tires with dark soul adapters so I am putting a little more wear on the cups.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online