• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Front differential cups

Dieselaw

Well i was out running my Chimera. Found some sweet spots to get some air, then i found a tree. Lol. Looks like the front differential cup broke so i am tearing into it in the next couple days. I ordered upgraded front control arms, considering i will basically taking them off anyhow. I started looking into those differential cups. They look like SERIOUS work to get out. I was just hoping to get tips/tricks to get them out. Sounds like i have to take the differential completely apart?! Any advice would help. Thx!

rcgasser

yes you have to take the diff apart but its not that bad especially if you are just replacing the diff that on the top just remove the gear and slide the pin out and the diff will come out be careful of the o rings they pop out sometimes also and easy to loose. While you are in the diff might as well put in some better diff fluid. I you are removing the bottom diff it will have the same gear that the top has remove the gear when you look on the side of the diff you will see a grub screw remove the grub screw so the pin can slide out the hole of the diff and slide the cup out. Needle nose pliers will help greatly.

Dieselaw

Thx. Just got took most pf the front clip off. I was ready to slide the front half of the differential off, saw The gears in side and got nervous. Lol. I am gonna pull it apart tomorrow, and really get into it. Thx already for the heads up!

Dieselaw

Finally got the parts in , but ran out of time tonight. I did pull the cover off the diff and take a look at getting the diff cups out. Looks like 4 screws hold the actual gear on and then the grub screw on the side of the gear/cup assembly. Just remove those screws and pull the gear off watching for o-rings. Then just remove the cups? If u see this let me know if i am on the right track! Thx!

rcgasser

Yes you are on the right track just remove the 4 screws pull the diff apart then you will see the gears on the inside of the diff and one gear will be stuck to the top where the 4 screws were removed.

Dieselaw

Well i have done all that you have said except i cant find the pins. On the top gear or bottom gear. I am working on the diff cup on the bottom gear. I removed the grub bolt looked inside and all i can see is the teeth if the gear. Guess i will keep playing with it.

Ol' fart

The pin is behind the teeth. The only thing holding in the gear is all that goo. Get a tiny screwdriver and lightly prey up one side and then the other and work it off, you'll see once you get started.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts