• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

FID Electric Starter Eval lol So Far

mvaughn12

Ok I just recieved my FID Electric starter: Packaging is Nice but the downside is no directions come with it, Upside is there are quite a few videos out on how to wire this starter.

This starter has a 3 nut configuration vs the standard 4 nut confiuration with the stock pull start. Upon installation there are some Mods that have to be done. 1st the Radio box has to be move 3/4 in and holes redrilled. There is enough room to acheive this issue. Next the leg to the roll bar will have to be moved inward and inch and a hole tapped for it to be screwed down to frame, next the side panel will need hole cut out for housing cover of starter engine to fit thru.

THis is not a real concern since the Housing cover is really thick plastic to protect it and it seals really well. Also rock and gravel wont bother it. Also the bottle plastic guard on that side will need to be trimmed down about and inch for proper placement under the starter motor. I'll take more pictures and a video when complete.

My suggestion also would be to mount the 7.2 volt battery need for this on the opposite side of the vehichle since there is room on the servo side. I would rubber proof it with liquid rubble them a simple zip tie to the frame . the wireing harness box will sit nicely ontop of the receiver box with a simple screw or on the opposite side with the battery. I had a huge concern about the motor may touch the center gear but there is actually a 2 inch gap between the gear and the starter motor so no worries there... i'll Update more as I progress.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

Wow, that's a tight fit. The wires coming out the back of that motor look like they're super close to that center crown gear.

mvaughn12

Deluge said:
Wow, that's a tight fit. The wires coming out the back of that motor look like they're super close to that center crown gear.
Actually the Center crown gear to the back the of the motor for the wires there is a 2 inch gap. The wires I'm actual rerouting under the reciever box or around it because they need to plug into the 7.2 volt battery in the side of the servos

mvaughn12

RCDAD said:
Nice fit.What happened to the body panel?
lol It cracked up on my second run then after that I had to cust a hole in it for the Drill Bit starter. But it works out since now I have to cut the hole a little bigger for the motor housing to fit thru.

mvaughn12

RampageHopUps said:
I just ordered a 3D printer. Maybe that will be one of my new projects.
LOL if you want a project and I'll be your first customer to buy one. Can you design a Battery / Receiver box about and Inch taller??? THis would help compensate for the lack of room and if someone was to add lights and needed to add extra wiriring harness lol like I need for the wireing box that comes with this electric starter I could all fit snug into the Receiver Box also add a hole so the charging port could poke thru as myself and I have seen others who have their charging port outside the box due to It's a Bear removing these screws lol

RampageHopUps

mvaughn12 said:
LOL if you want a project and I'll be your first customer to buy one. Can you design a Battery / Receiver box about and Inch taller??? THis would help compensate for the lack of room and if someone was to add lights and needed to add extra wiriring harness lol like I need for the wireing box that comes with this electric starter I could all fit snug into the Receiver Box also add a hole so the charging port could poke thru as myself and I have seen others who have their charging port outside the box due to It's a Bear removing these screws lol
Yes, that is one of my projects already. We have need that for some time now. I will start a new thread once it arrives.

mvaughn12

RampageHopUps said:
Yes, that is one of my projects already. We have need that for some time now. I will start a new thread once it arrives.
Whooo Hooo!! I cant wait to order one!!! lol this stock receiver housing has to go lol

Last edited by a moderator:

mvaughn12

One thing I do like about this Set up is that the 7.2 v battery is also the Reciever battery as well

mvaughn12

LOL ok I did a Youtube of my starter installed It starts really easy and the installation was really good . I just need to tune my new carb. LOL forgive the video my daughter was taping it sideways lol

[ame]

[/ame]

mvaughn12

Mounted battery to side on servo side with Zip ties to frame needless to say is it worth the money installing one of these. I would say yes. I has a plug in for kill switch aslo but I chose not to use it or let the battery power my reciever So the starter has its own battery as well as my receiver but it will not come on with out turning on your reciever box so the battery is not running down or contantly running. I purchased mine off ebay and I see they have more of them listed.

claude bigelow

mvaughn12 said:
Mounted battery to side on servo side with Zip ties to frame needless to say is it worth the money installing one of these. I would say yes. I has a plug in for kill switch aslo but I chose not to use it or let the battery power my reciever So the starter has its own battery as well as my receiver but it will not come on with out turning on your reciever box so the battery is not running down or contantly running. I purchased mine off ebay and I see they have more of them listed.
That's really cool, I'm assuming I can install it on my MT.

mvaughn12

claude bigelow said:
That's really cool, I'm assuming I can install it on my MT.
Yes the install is really easy to do. I'm going to purchase myself one more for my next 1/5 scale lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts