• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Experimental WT-990 mod

alfred e numan

The idea for this came from a paragilder err- ultralite aircraft site. On the well lighted side of the bore on the 990 you can see a dot. There are 2 more dots hidden in the upside down U shaped shadow. These " dots " are holes- the fuel jets for the low speed -midrange circut on the 990. The shadow you see is the reflection from a polished HY 30 cc factory carb - y if you are in AU. The Hy carb has a U shaped notch. The idea is- the notch causes a stronger air flow across the 3 low-mid circut at idle and slightly off idle openings. This is what the ultra lite fellow says happens - improved hot-cold starts, You have to lower the idle speed screw- slow the rpm down and feed more fuel with the low speed adjustment screw. -- less low-mid starvation of fuel. I will see -- as soon as time and weather allows. This factory notch is small - but i have dremel-red loktite and screws. - never pry-pull on the butterfly valve- when r-r is correct the valve will fall out- drop in to place easly.-- In the morning i will wet test with viberation and read the pop off pressure.

alfred e numan

Good morning. I dry tested the 990 -- pumped air only into the fuel inlet on the carb. The pop off valve released at 36 1/2 psi. The HY carb blew off at 25 psi. From what i have read on the HPI site, 25 psi is normal- the sweetspot is 15. -- but all the HPI threads were dry tests. Later i will purge all the air out of the carb and fuel line and wet test. This seens logical-- stay tuned folks----

alfred e numan

WT -990 mod results.

O.K. everyone-- heres the skinny. When the mighty WT 990 was wet tested it popped at 42 psi. -- this is very high. I tested agan with a gas-air mix and it came down to 31 psi. So, i robbed the short spring you see in the photograph from a 26.2 weed wacker and installed in the 990. the results -- wet test-no air in the carb or line and filter- 30 psi. air-gas mix- 20.25 psi. The HPI fellows say the sweet spot is 15-17 psi. The 990 is a hot rod carb, for the time being i choose to err on the side of caution. I will bolt up the carb at the 20.25 setting and fire it up when the relentless eastern Oregon winds stop. Also- lots of people cut the stock spring down with toenail clippers. bad idea because the solid coils you see in the photo are intended to be a seat- stable the spring in the carb. The stock spring - WT-990. - # 48 on the Walbro 990 exploded view. replacement part # 98-3248. cost-0.46 cents. The proper way to experment is to buy a Walbro spring kit. Walbro part # 400-606. Go to- mowpart.com in Texas - enter the part # in there search feature and there it is- no photo.-- $37.76 with a 5% discount. I have looked at this spring kit somewhere else in cyberland- comes in a little fishing lure clear box with lots of springs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts