• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Ever considered cutting Titanium?

Silent_chaos

If yes, would the cost of final parts increase much? 20-30% or double??

And what would be your limitations?

I have in mind the Gears and maybe some other parts.

Thanks.

alfred e numan

I vote for a TI crankshaft. this would result in far more weight savings than all the little parts combined. also result in a lighter & thinner wallet.

glm308

Contributor
Titanium is stupid expensive and would require different tools that are also expensive to machine it. I work on F-15 aircraft and we have been looking for some 6-6-2 titanium sheet .100" our cost was $100,000 for a 4'x12' sheet. this same sheet in 7075-t6 Aluminum would run maybe $1,000-$1,500.

So I think the price to build any R/C parts out of Ti would triple or quadruple the price and that would be just for small stuff like A-arms and shock towers.

Also understand that Titanium is heavy much heavier that Aluminum but much stronger.so there would not be much weight savings over aluminum.

Greg

Silent_chaos

glm308 said:
Titanium is stupid expensive and would require different tools that are also expensive to machine it. I work on F-15 aircraft and we have been looking for some 6-6-2 titanium sheet .100" our cost was $100,000 for a 4'x12' sheet. this same sheet in 7075-t6 Aluminum would run maybe $1,000-$1,500.So I think the price to build any R/C parts out of Ti would triple or quadruple the price and that would be just for small stuff like A-arms and shock towers.

Also understand that Titanium is heavy much heavier that Aluminum but much stronger.so there would not be much weight savings over aluminum.

Greg
I know it would be expensive, but actually some manufacturers do it.

http://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=15741

See this thread.

Im looking for gears and maybe front/rear bumpers

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' fart

No way on the gears but for bumpers, maybe. One foot of 1/2 diameter titanium would cost $40.00 A bumper could be made that clamps the titanium in place, no machining of the titanium.

Silent_chaos

Noted on the gears.

I was looking something to protect the front and the rear of the buggy. Something stronger and lighter that absorbs an impact or an accident.

Any thoughts in mind? Maybe a plate? (Using your chassis)

Ol' fart

I like the T-bone bumper. Maybe a little wider to protect the wheels. It might be worth trying to add a metal rod to a T-bone bumper, titanium or aluminum.

Silent_chaos

Ol said:
I like the T-bone bumper. Maybe a little wider to protect the wheels. It might be worth trying to add a metal rod to a T-bone bumper, titanium or aluminum.
Whichever withstands more impact and easier to mashine. If you ever consider manufacturing, im much interested, gotta protect the truck. You never know when you hit that post or tree. That thing can save anyones ass and save 1000 dollars.

Much appreciated if you can do A small sketch with dimensions so i can just picture it in my head.

Other guys were talking about a rear bumper to protect the pipe since it just stands out there with 0 protection.

Ofc, that would be awesome too

glm308

Contributor
Silent_chaos said:
I know it would be expensive, but actually some manufacturers do it.http://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=15741

See this thread.

Im looking for gears and maybe front/rear bumpers
I agree it can be done but most machine shops are not setup to work with Titanium. Also Titanium is not light it is heavy compared to Aluminum but is lighter and stronger than steel. So you can run thinner metal to get the same Tensile strength which saves weight over steel.

The 7075 that Ol' Fart uses for his parts is very ridged and more than strong enough to handle 1/5 scale r/c

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts