• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

EP PRO gearing questions

FMcamaroZ28

So just picked up the Chimera EP pro. This thing is pretty awesome.

Having some trouble with battery selection. I picked up a couple 6000mah 3S batteries since many of the high mAh 6S batteries wouldn't fit or were crazy expensive.

My question is gearing - what is the stock pinion size? I see that 7075 sells pinions of all sizes - it also asks for a mm size but 5mm (for the motor shaft) is not listed and not to be used with steel gears - is the spur in the EP pro steel or plastic?

The smaller the pinion gives you slower speed and less heat. Larger the pinion, more speed and more heat.

Does anyone have a recommendation of what to use for the EP pro - particularly to get a little more speed out of my 8200mah 2s batteries?

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Last edited by a moderator:

FMcamaroZ28

I answered some of my own questions after some googling.

The stock spur is steel and is 41T.

The stock pinion is 10T

Does anyone know the pitch, or an alternate place for gears...and a recommendation?

Ol' fart

can help with this

The redcat gears are a 1.5 MOD. The stock setup will only take a 41t spur and a 10Tor 11T pinion gear. I know Kershaw makes a motor mount but I think his gear range is limited too, but better than stock. My setup can use a wide range of gears but they are Delrin and 7075 aluminum and they will not work with any other set-up

FMcamaroZ28

Thanks Ol' fart.

What gearing do you recommend if someone was eventually going with the castle 2028?

Also, still waiting on that order #247 to ship. :)

Ol' fart

Your order and nine others are going out tomorrow.

Hard to say. What tires (diameter) are you running? and how many cells, 6 or 8

FMcamaroZ28

Great! Thanks!

The stock tires for now.

Start with 6 maybe move to 8

Ol' fart

Stock tires are about as small as they make for dirt so you will need a little taller gears than most. Plus the stock motor is 940kv (I think) and the 2028 is a 740kv so your RPM's will drop too. I would try a 14/48 to start, on 6c

FMcamaroZ28

I've been looking around for bigger tires but just about everything is the same 7" tall as the stock tires.

Or am I wrong?

bullaculla

Last edited by a moderator:

FMcamaroZ28

The manual states the tires are 178mm in diameter, which is 7 inches. It could be wrong however.

And yes, I've bookmarked that page and plan on getting those too once i get the adapters.

Thanks for the help!

bullaculla

FMcamaroZ28 said:
The manual states the tires are 178mm in diameter, which is 7 inches. It could be wrong however. And yes, I've bookmarked that page and plan on getting those too once i get the adapters.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, I have the adapters on order too from 7075 :)

if you watch this video review, he measures the tires with a tape measure at 5 minutes.

I've measured mine too and they are barely 6-1/4"

I cant wait for the bigger tires :D

I might gear it down tho depending on motor temps.

[ame]

[/ame]

FMcamaroZ28

Sweet thanks for the info.

That Rovan place is actually close enough for local pickup so I'm gonna grab a set of those big tires ASAP

Kinda don't want to hear the chassis slamming into the ground after a somewhat decent jump anymore. The 7075 shock tower should give me some more rear shock options too, its on its way.

I've got it so in my head of doing the 2028 conversion I have barely been checking motor temps in hopes the motor will give me the push i need. I guess ill start doing that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts