• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine trouble

Sal

So I'm having a crazy time with the rampage engine... It will not start with the pipe installed!! If I remove it , it fires RIT up...If I attempted to install it will on it automatically shuts off. Any ideas what's going on? Any info helps

Deluge

I'd reset the carb to stock settings and put on a better pipe, or just stick with the exhaust can until you can get a better one. Redcat pipes are known to melt and are just generally a hassle to work with.

designed2survive

@Sal You need to retune with the pipe on. Reset your carb to factory setting and tune from there.

Personally, I would not bother with that pipe, it doesn't give you much and it will not last long.

Sal

I have a new wt990 carb. Stock settings and still gives me a hard time to turn on.. only with starter fluid I can get it to fire up.. should I just invest on a new motor.. last time I ran this old one was with stock carb it just died on me.. ever since I can't get it to fire up easy... I also have a new coil for the spark plug

designed2survive

1. Your engine worked fine without the pipe, so it's not a compression issue
  2. it has to do with back pressure and pipe flow.
  3. mount the pipe. Retune from there. The stock carb settings may be a little rich and may need to be leaned out a little when starting with the pipe.
  4. to easily start a 990,
a- prime bulb
b- slowly pull pull starter 3-4 times
c- pull normally to start

Sal

1. Your engine worked fine without the pipe, so it's not a compression issue
  2. it has to do with back pressure and pipe flow.
  3. mount the pipe. Retune from there. The stock carb settings may be a little rich and may need to be leaned out a little when starting with the pipe.
  4. to easily start a 990,
a- prime bulb
b- slowly pull pull starter 3-4 times
c- pull normally to start
Ok I'll give this a try.. ill update u if anything changes .. Thanks

Phill

Ok I'll give this a try.. ill update u if anything changes .. Thanks

To easily start a 990 throw it away and put a 668 on.
If you look at the specs the bore and venturi are identical and you get a choke.

Jonny5

Start it with pipe off and when it is running pit pipe back on. Careful exhaust is quite warm. But I have to agree with that it is not a compression problem.

Sal

Start it with pipe off and when it is running pit pipe back on. Careful exhaust is quite warm. But I have to agree with that it is not a compression problem.
I have tried this. As soon as pipe get close to the motor it shuts off.. can't bolt it on without it turning off...

Jonny5

Do you or anyone you know have an extra muffler. You can probably even borrow one off you weed eater. Might be a broken baffle inside pipe or something. But still is a possibility of a tune problem.

G-Man

So a 990 was a waste of money?
No the 990 is a beast!! 5 or 6 pulls my MT is running in 25 degree weather. I've heard guys wrapping a bag over the carb for the first 2 pulls as that acts as a choke, but I never had to. I pull the cord slow 4 times then 2 fast and it's idling. Try venting your fuel tank, new spark plug and factory settings on the carb. Should run.. Good Luck

Sal

Do you or anyone you know have an extra muffler. You can probably even borrow one off you weed eater. Might be a broken baffle inside pipe or something. But still is a possibility of a tune problem.
I have my stock muffler. I'll go ahead and slap that on and see what happens.

Phill

No the 990 is a beast!! 5 or 6 pulls my MT is running in 25 degree weather. I've heard guys wrapping a bag over the carb for the first 2 pulls as that acts as a choke, but I never had to. I pull the cord slow 4 times then 2 fast and it's idling. Try venting your fuel tank, new spark plug and factory settings on the carb. Should run.. Good Luck
I found the 990 no better than the 668
What is supposed to make the big difference other than no choke?
If anyone in Australia wants one for free PM me and you can have it
Just pay the postage

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts