• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine lube for storage?

Boomkidd

Hey all. So, there's times where I won't use my Rampage MT for like a month or 2 or 3... Sometimes I use it like every 3, 4 days. Anyway, is there some type of storage lube for the engine that should be dropped in or is there something special I should be doing other than running it out of gas and leave it on the shelf?

WoodiE

Kind of good admin
Staff member
@Boomkidd For long term storage I prefer to run the engine until the tank is dry. This way fuel isn't sitting in the tank as well as the carb which can then gum it up and cause more issues. I do this with pretty much any small engine, especially before winter when I know they are going to sit for a long time.

Boomkidd

Ah cool that's sort of what I figured. I was thinking more in line with something like remove the spark plug and put drops of whatever in the engine itself. Sort of like a nitro engine. But if not necessary even better.

Phill

Ah cool that's sort of what I figured. I was thinking more in line with something like remove the spark plug and put drops of whatever in the engine itself. Sort of like a nitro engine. But if not necessary even better.
There's plenty of lube in there from the oil in your fuel.
If you're really concerned you could always take the plug out and give it a squirt of WD40.
Certainly won't do any harm.

G-Man

Hey all. So, there's times where I won't use my Rampage MT for like a month or 2 or 3... Sometimes I use it like every 3, 4 days. Anyway, is there some type of storage lube for the engine that should be dropped in or is there something special I should be doing other than running it out of gas and leave it on the shelf?
I'm not a big fan of running a 2 stroke engine out of gas for storage. The lack of oil when it starts to run out of gas and revs up due being lean is not good for the engine. I typically will pick the rig up and dump the tank then remove the fuel hoses from the carb and get as much out that way. As far as a storage lube to put in after I never really did that. Plenty of oil in your fuel like Phill said above.

Phill

I'm not a big fan of running a 2 stroke engine out of gas for storage. The lack of oil when it starts to run out of gas and revs up due being lean is not good for the engine. I typically will pick the rig up and dump the tank then remove the fuel hoses from the carb and get as much out that way. As far as a storage lube to put in after I never really did that. Plenty of oil in your fuel like Phill said above.
I don't even bother doing that.
I've left mine for months and she fires up first go on the old fuel

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.