• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine died. Pull start won't pull!

Shalako

I was driving today and was open almost full throttle. Then the engine died. Tried to start and the pull start will not spin. Feels like it is stuck. I didn't want to pull hard in case I might break something else.

Does this mean the engine may be seized or is it just an issue with the pull start?

Any suggestions on what I should check first? I am not mechanically inclined so if its an engine issue I might be in trouble.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kbreaux100

you may have flooded your engine. when the engine is flooded,the pull start is very hard to pull.definitely do not try,you could bend your rod if you do. pull out the spark plug,then pull it a couple times to clear the cylinder of fuel.you need to find out why your motor flooded,if that is the case.if it doesn't pull when you have the plug out,then somethng is jamming your gearing or engine,or it is seized up

BertR

look to see if the coil has come loose and fallen onto the flywheel and check the clutch area ...if both areas are free of obstructions it's the motor.

Shalako

I don't think it is flooded but I will check.

How do I check the coil? Pull off the shroud like I did to install the kill switch?

And I check the flywheel by just pulling the flywheel cover off?

Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dreggsta

Are you lean? Running lean can cause overheating & burn the engine up. Are you running lean?

Dreggsta

I didn't say lean seized. I asked if you are running lean. :)

Lol I didn't see Rob's post where he says lean seized. I was wondering where that came from. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Shalako

Okay still haven't had time to check out my motor but if it is seized would I need a replacement or rebuild? Also is there an upgraded engine that I can upsize to? I had already ordered the 8K clutch from RCPitstop and was thinking of upgrading the carb. All of this could be done together.

Any thoughts?

kbreaux100

did you pull out the spark plug and try to pull it? if you still cant pull it after you take spark plug out,check fly wheel under pull start. for the flywheel,take pull start assembly out by four screws.if it isnt jammed,your motor is probably kapoot

Rampage mt

If it isn't what the other guys are saying and it is indeed motor related I'd say crank bearing for sure,ud have to take the head off and split the crank case and if its te bearing chances are it'll be in pieces...however you can take the bearing case to a automotive,marine or atv shop and they can get u one to match the size,then ull probally only need to get a new head gasket and a new crankcase gasket unless u can get it all apart without ruining them lol.hope u figure it out good luck!

Sergio

Yeah as far as i know it works on the 30cc you don't need the 2 mm crank the stocker already has it.

rcgasser

Before you go the engine route if you have done all that the other guys have suggested and its still stuck pull your engine out I have had clutch springs break at WOT which will allow the shoe to jam to the clutch bell and make the engine hard to turn so also check your clutch spring and shoes.

Sergio

rcgasser said:
Before you go the engine route if you have done all that the other guys have suggested and its still stuck pull your engine out I have had clutch springs break at WOT which will allow the shoe to jam to the clutch bell and make the engine hard to turn so also check your clutch spring and shoes.
True that happend to me the pull start was hard to pull.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online