• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine break in problem

DaveG

Still running good, had a blast last Saturday running the dune runner around an abandoned department store parking lot across from my neighborhood. Plan to do so again this weekend if the weather holds up.

talunceford

DaveG said:
Still running good, had a blast last Saturday running the dune runner around an abandoned department store parking lot across from my neighborhood. Plan to do so again this weekend if the weather holds up.
It's always a great day when stuff is working right.

GCraig

DaveG said:
Well, finally got my new Dunerunner running, and was having a great time breaking in the engine this afternoon. After about 15 minutes of the car running great, it just quit on me. I checked and still had fuel left in the tank. I started it again and the revs were all over the place. Also, I noticed fuel coming out where the exhaust attaches to the engine, and it had made a mess all over the back of the car and rear suspension. There wasn't a bunch running out the pipe, just between the housing and engine. I could also feel air shooting out from this location, just about as much as it does from the pipe itself.I took the exhaust off the car and found that the gasket to the exhaust had pretty munch burned though, and it's obvious that it didn't have a very good seal to the engine. The car will start and idle, but at various times the idle jumps up and down and regardless of tuning, after applying enough throttle to get the car moving, it dies.

So my question is, is this all related to the exhaust meaning if I replace it, this should take care of the issue or does it sound like there is something more serious going on with the engine?
DaveG: put a new exhaust gasket on and tighten the screws good. Then set the adjustment screws on the carborator to factory settings. The forward screw is 1 1/2 turns out from closed, the back screw is 1 1/4 turns out from closed. Try this and let me know what it does.

DaveG said:
Ok. Well, before I start adding anything else, I need to get it back up and running. I'm taking it apart this weekend and will look at the head gasket, as well as put on the new exhaust gasket, tighten down the head bolts, etc. I also have a new modified 990 carb but I'm unsure if it's any better than the stock since I've seen comparisons of the stock being close to or is the 1107 carb.

DaveG

The Dunerunner has been running excellent ever since I put on the new exhaust gasket, which was around two weeks or so ago.

Thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts