• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine break in problem

Phill

No idea but given that KM and Rovan stuff fit HPI I doubt it.

Maybe someone with a Baja will chime in.

The air filter should fit no probs but the tank cap is the problem.

Ice_2k

A one-way valve, some fuel tubing and a hole in the cap is all you need really. I've been using this for at least 7-8 full tanks and it's flawless. No venting issues, no leakage, no problems.

DaveG

Ok. Well, before I start adding anything else, I need to get it back up and running. I'm taking it apart this weekend and will look at the head gasket, as well as put on the new exhaust gasket, tighten down the head bolts, etc.

I also have a new modified 990 carb but I'm unsure if it's any better than the stock since I've seen comparisons of the stock being close to or is the 1107 carb.

Ice_2k

I've seen people having problems with the stock carbs so it might not be a bad idea to also try the 990, to make sure it's not just a faulty carb.

Phill

According to DDM the stock carb on the 32cc is the 1107 which is a 990 with a choke.

I currently run a 990 but when it dies I will replace it with an 1107.

DaveG

I started taking things apart tonight and while I didn't remove the cylinder, I could see around the entire thing and the head gasket looks fine. I've seen photos of them blown where at least one side or corner was gone and it looked from every vantage point I had that the gasket was in one piece. Also, the head bolts were nice and tight.

phreerider

the stock carb has limits, at about 30-50 hours they just become untunable , you could clean/rebuild...but theres better. the stock carb/ pipe have fairly narrow sweet spot and that spot fouls by debris/resin easily. super rich settings for too long and it just won't cooperate.

the leak is most likely exhaust/gasket.

stick to your ratio on fuel/mix 25:1 ! 990 WT carb, a decent pipe, and vent gas tank...

a little tuning practice and it will sing for a long time.

DaveG

Just an update. I installed the copper exhaust gasket, along with a new Redcat tuned pipe (yes, I will be getting a jetpro but wanted to get things up and running before dropping the $$$ on it).

The car is running like a champ, and couldn't be happier.

Rusty Nail

DaveG said:
I figured as much. I'll replace the gasket anyways and see what happens. After that, I'll look at the cylinder gasket and if that's not it, I probably won't be spending too much more time on it. I have an extra spark plug that I'll test, but I'm not tearing a brand new motor apart to find the problem.Unfortunate, but at least I got 15 good minutes out of a new car.
I had some issues with my MT (had it like a month) and I tore down the motor and it was pretty simple and straight forward and I am definitely a newbie to the gas scene. So far it's running pretty good. OBR vids are great help with trouble shooting.

Glad it's running good for you!

talunceford

Rusty Nail said:
I had some issues with my MT (had it like a month) and I tore down the motor and it was pretty simple and straight forward and I am definitely a newbie to the gas scene. So far it's running pretty good. OBR vids are great help with trouble shooting.Glad it's running good for you!
Glad its working good for you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts