• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Electrical Fire !! Yikes Something went wrong

joshreynolds777

Picked up a used RedCat Rampage MT from mopar-jake, love it. Nicely set up, new condition.

Got it all hooked up, i thought right, all the testing went fine. I took the fail safe out because I didnt know how to install it, and added my little voltage meter. and installed my brand new DX3s radio system.

About 15 minutes of fun play, i felt a little slugishness in the response, so I walked over and noticed my voltage meter was badly smoking, and smoke was also pooring out of the reciever lid cracks.

I killed everything and found that pretty much averything was fried and melted to eachother.

Could I have hooked up a neg to pos and or vice versa?

Seems like if I;d have done that it wouldnt work right away.

The first thing that was different about this install was the dirrections that jake sent me for the 1/4scale servo, it came with a y harness and said it needed to be hooked up straight to the rx pack, cool, fine, hooked it up accorning to the dirrections, except that I was using an on and off switch.

What in the world happened. ????

I was thinking that the volt meter wasnt rated for that many volts and fried taking everything else with it for a fifteen minute burn. But I could still read the top of it, it showed good for 4.8V-6.0V

Help me out guys, I don't want this to happen again

Thanks in advance

-JOSH

PS If there is a better spot for this thread, let me know

DemonRC

Dam that really is a bummer man. I'd have to see it to be able to make any accessment. Can you take some pictures? Also, what servo were you running and was it a duel servo setup? The reason I ask is because I've smoked Y harnesses and servo extension connectors before when using servo's that draw alot of amps.

M

magnum57

Bummer:confused: i had the same thing happen to me. I found out that my battery monitor was a piece of crap:mad: So it just melted everything in the receiver box. I wouldn’t recommend using a hobbico voltwatch meter. The only one I have good luck with is the venom 0640 battery monitor. Consider the amount of money in that receiver box. I have a 2.4Ghz receiver @ $100.00, killer bee kill switch @ 90.00, volt meter @ 20.00, y harness, on/off switch:eek: I mean it adds up so to have an inferior product in there when it burns up is expensive. I don’t know what you had as far as a volt meter but that was probably the cause of you blaze.

hamster huey

Standard thickness receiver wire burns out at 4-5 amps. Most large scale servos do not pull enough to fry this. You can correctly wire a Y with one servo without frying anything. 2 servos going through a 4-5 amp wire might fry but I don't know as I don't want to try it. But for sure you can use a Y for one servo straight to the batt. I run that way for a long time with no problems. Basically the signal wire goes to the receiver and the power wires go to the batt.

joshreynolds777

I really think the volt meter went faulty, it seems like the most burnt thing in there. my rx got real hot but i think its working ok. i just don't know if i trust it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts