• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dune Runner AFTER Overhaul

Chief409

Ran the buggy today, finally!

First impressions, the OBR Prostock 30.5 is STRONG running with the X-Can and 8" stingers. Big improvement over the stock 30.5. The belt drive is great, but Brian, you need to tell people to use RED Loctite, I tried Blue and ended up chasing parts across the desert. But, getting rid of all the stock gear drag, WOW!

Tomorrow I'm headed to the BMX track at Edwards AFB. I'll have the GoPro, and the Garmin GPS to find out how fast this buggy is now.

Another OBR runner, Darrell, put up this video when he ran the BMX track last summer. Pretty good run, and Burger King is within 5 minutes!

I've talked to Darrell, and we will be running together at the track. And 2 or 3 of his buddy's.

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/blog/derrellslosi/

OBTW, using washers on the brake posts works. Forget grub screws.

Last edited by a moderator:

mulepic

Ditto, red loctite on everything. And the nice thing about red you just carry a lighter and heat up the screw when you want it to come undone.

Do you have a picture of the brake post washers, I'm curious?

G

Good to hear your running. I have good luck with the blue loctite. I do let it dry overnight. Hey if the red works, then why not? Good idea on the washers to set the brakes.

Look'n forward to some video.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Re: Dune Runner AFTER Overhaul

mulepic said:
Do you have a picture of the brake post washers, I'm curious?
I think he's putting washers between the last brake pad and pinion support (that has the brake grub screws...before I rebuilt my brake setup I used an extra brake pad on the outside....to keep the disks from falling off the hub.

Chief409

krashkrieg said:
I think he's putting washers between the last brake pad and pinion support (that has the brake grub screws...before I rebuilt my brake setup I used an extra brake pad on the outside....to keep the disks from falling off the hub.
Correct. The washers don't have to be a precise fit on the posts either. I used a couple of flat washers and glow plug washers out of my 20 year box.

jackson

does the gears combo on the dunne runner fit the rampage mt? 26/24 or whatever it is? or those are XT/XB gears?

Chief409

I have RCDADS belt drive, which is 1:1 for the X Cats and MT/TT/Dune Runner. Different mounting plates.

Not quite ready to put up video, working through some issues, which I expected when I made the major changes (power, tranny, suspension) but I'll say this. The OBR Prostock 30.5 with an X-Can and 8" long 1/2" id silicon stingers is a BEAST! Once it's warmed up and the 990 carb is tuned, pull the trigger from a stop, and dirt is flying, the buggy is RUNNING! Great low end power with a stock clutch and 5T Trenchers. Should be a great track rig running this engine.

For dunes and sand, I'm building a Full Race stroker using the OBR 30.5 2 bolt kit.

Still working on the suspension, the stock Baja 5b front springs on the rear of the Dune Runner are too stiff, unless I'm running in sand. Under acceleration, or at speed, the back end wants to take BIG hops any time it hits a bump. I just ordered the softer HPI springs. Currently have 40W fluid in the rear shocks, with the amplitude of the hop I didn't think changing shock fluid would fix the problem. The front is nailed with the stock rear 5b springs and 30W fluid.

Chief409

Have the soft HPI springs on the rear now. Before the rear of buggy looked like a bull bucking at the rodeo after hitting any bump under acceleration with the power the OBR Prostroke puts out.

Tomorrow, weather permitting, I'm off to the BMX track at Edwards AFB. Hope everything holds together.

Chief409

Took the DR to Edwards AFB to run on the BMX track, around a 20 mile trip. As I went through the gate I realized I left the gas can at home. So, I walked the BMX track, it hasn't seen much use, and is tight. Then I went home, got the gas can and went to the Bash Site. OBR has a winner with the Prostroke 30.5. With the RC Pit Stop belt drive (1:1) the tires are throwing dirt as soon as the trigger is pulled. Changing to the soft springs on the rear fixed the rear end hop. I had a blast today, and only quit when the dirt bikes and quads showed up.

I'm uploading a video to YouTube, but talk about SLOW. Sometime it will show up here:

http://youtu.be/2k1In0fLsNI

OBTW, don't do doughnuts on 1/4" gravel within two feet of where you're standing. Trenchers THROW that stuff, it hurts even when you have jeans on!

Chief409

Had problems uploading to YouTube.

Here's the good link: [ame]

[/ame]It should be live shortly.

Chief409

RCDAD, my apologies for the mistake on the header page. I'm taking the video down and making the corrections.

Chief409

krashkrieg said:
Looking / sounding good...time to hit some jumps at the track!
Funny, I had just got the body on and was reaching for the gas can to run the jumps when a few dirt bikes and quads showed up with the same idea at the Bash Area.

This weekend I won't forget the gas can when I load up and head to Edwards. :eek:

Chief409

RCDAD said:
Running good there, Chief.
A successful post maintenance run is always nice. The BMX track at Edwards was fairly hard packed, and hadn't seen much use when I walked it Sunday. It's like a clay track, and should have lots of traction.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts