• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dumb questions from a new MT V3 owner

Ignus Fast

1) I'm confused by the charger. It has a green light that stays on for a while (hour or two?), then goes out. Does it mean it's charged, or that it's just flaky? I ask because the first time I finally managed to get it running, it had *terrible* range, and the support people indicated that the battery was low.

2) It takes almost half-throttle to get it moving. I know it's a heavy beast. But the brakes seem fine, and it rolls okay when not running. But it just seems to take half-throttle just to get moving, which makes me nervous since I'm trying to limit throttle during break-in.

3) I bought and installed the tuned pipe option. It came with a fairly thin paper gasket. I I installed it with that before I noticed just how thick the stock gasket was. Should I have used both, or is the one that comes with the pipe sufficient?

Thanks for any assistance people might throw my way!

SYNPRODUCTIONZ

Sounds like you have a tuning issue. Get familiar with the tuning process as you will need to fine tune all the time to get the best performance. Upgraded parts, changes in climate can all call for a re tune process. There are a whole bunch of videos on youtube that can help with tuning any 1/5 gas rc and also there are a few threads here that have helped me figure out how to tune the engine properly. Make sure your fuel to oil ratio is right (usually 25:1) and tune the engine right and you should be good to go. I'm assuming you have already gone threw the engine break in process as well? If not, that is also key!

You need to fully charger your battery pack and make sure your attenna is fully extended and not frayed or damaged to get proper range. The speed of your steering rate can indicate if your battery is low or not.

The first thing I did was get a better charger and a proper kill switch before any other upgrades. I went with a venom pro2 charger and a stock hpi baja 5 kill switch and they both work just fine for me. There are better ones out there but are also more expensive as well. Do your research to find what works for you.

Check this thread as well:

https://redcatrampageforum.com/threads/rampage-xt-stalls.4525/

Last edited:

Ignus Fast

I'm actually still going through break-in! I have really long breaks between the heat-cool cycles because I'm in a residential environment, and this beast is LOUD with the tuned pipe. It's also been really hot and humid, so I'm not going to tweak needles until the initial cycles are done. I was just nervous doing the tuning because it's taking almost half-throttle just to get it to move, and I didn't want to do a poor break-in.

I did actually pick up a Futaba transmitter/receiver combo - I'm not super fond of the digital servo adjustments, but otherwise it's a major step up.

Great idea on the kill switch - that's the next thing I'll order.

I have two chargers I'm really happy with - I've been into electrics for several years now. This is my first foray into a gas machine, and the biggest machine I have next to my X-Maxx...

Bigpopa64

Buy a killer rc kill switch, I bought a cheap kill switch for me it was a waste of money
I added up the money Ive have tied up in my MT well over $1200 trying to save a buck went with elcheapo i put the best of everything on this MT minus the servos
So I bought the killer rc kill switch it works perfect

Phill

I'm actually still going through break-in! I have really long breaks between the heat-cool cycles because I'm in a residential environment, and this beast is LOUD with the tuned pipe. It's also been really hot and humid, so I'm not going to tweak needles until the initial cycles are done. I was just nervous doing the tuning because it's taking almost half-throttle just to get it to move, and I didn't want to do a poor break-in.

I did actually pick up a Futaba transmitter/receiver combo - I'm not super fond of the digital servo adjustments, but otherwise it's a major step up.

Great idea on the kill switch - that's the next thing I'll order.

I have two chargers I'm really happy with - I've been into electrics for several years now. This is my first foray into a gas machine, and the biggest machine I have next to my X-Maxx...

I run Futaba too and have been since the 80s.
Can't beat em.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts