• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Drive Train Gears

blg4351

So I have grenaded my second set of stock gears from the transmission. Any suggestions on better gear sets or even a different type of stetup? I have seen the posts about belt drives from Demon RC but its not available anymore. the gears flung so hard that it actually put a hole in the transmission cover.

GCraig

blg4351 said:
So I have grenaded my second set of stock gears from the transmission. Any suggestions on better gear sets or even a different type of stetup? I have seen the posts about belt drives from Demon RC but its not available anymore. the gears flung so hard that it actually put a hole in the transmission cover.
What vehicle do you have blg4351?

blg4351

Rampage xb and its bone stock. The first time a rock got wedged in the brakes causing it to shed the gears. Then just 2 days ago i pulled it out due to it neing somewhat warm and ran about a whole tank through it and then it stopped and i could hear it spinning in the gearbox. who makes the best plate? Or is the mt one just as good?

Ice_2k

Drive Train Gears

I have the stock gear plate on my Dunerunner (same metal gear plate as the MT) and zero problems, I'd go with the stock metal one if I were you. The problem with the plastic plate is that the heat causes it to get soft and it allows some play in the gears. As soon as you don't have perfect contact between the gears, they're much easier stripped. What I'm getting at is that there's no reason to go to a more expensive, tougher metal gear plate, it's not about being tough, it's just about not getting soft because of heat.

Corso

I have a question regarding the drivetrain gears... I pulled the cover off today on my new MT and was kind of surprised that there was no grease or lubricant of any kind on the gears. Do people add any lubricant to theirs?

Phill

Corso said:
I have a question regarding the drivetrain gears... I pulled the cover off today on my new MT and was kind of surprised that there was no grease or lubricant of any kind on the gears. Do people add any lubricant to theirs?
When I was running gears I used to put a bit of Moly grease on whenever I had the cover off.

Dunno if it helps but certainly can't hurt

blg4351

I put grease on my gears as well. I will be looking into an aluminum plate and i did notice how the heat effects the plastic in a big way especially on my wing mount arms. The plastic got super soft due to the exhaust and one is broke and the other is very plyable. I will keep an eye out on a good price for the metal gear plates.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
I have the stock gear plate on my Dunerunner (same metal gear plate as the MT) and zero problems, I'd go with the stock metal one if I were you. The problem with the plastic plate is that the heat causes it to get soft and it allows some play in the gears. As soon as you don't have perfect contact between the gears, they're much easier stripped. What I'm getting at is that there's no reason to go to a more expensive, tougher metal gear plate, it's not about being tough, it's just about not getting soft because of heat.
If you have the alloy plate already go to your local bearing shop and replace the stock bearings with hi speed rubber sealed ones.

They're cheap and save a lot of work in the long run.

The stock metal covered ones let dust in.

Corso

Phill said:
Who makes that one? Will he ship to the States?

**Edit** Looks like he will ship to the States. I do believe it is the same kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

Corso said:
Who makes that one? Will he ship to the States?**Edit** Looks like he will ship to the States. I do believe it is the same kit.
Calls himself Stern RC from Germany

A few others on this forum have em too and have nothing but praise for them.

The one you're looking at is probably the same one with extra profit added.

I got the one straight from Germany.

Fast delivery and no probs.

As I said before offer 70 euros for it.

Corso

Phill said:
Calls himself Stern RC from GermanyA few others on this forum have em too and have nothing but praise for them.

The one you're looking at is probably the same one with extra profit added.

I got the one straight from Germany.

Fast delivery and no probs.

As I said before offer 70 euros for it.
Did you notice performance gains vs. the stock gear-set?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.