• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Drive cups breaking

AlvaSpeed

I have a chimera that has broken 2 drive cups.

Part # 07145

Anybody with the same problem?

I think the problem is that the rear suspension up travel is too long that the dogbone´s angle is such that it makes a lot of pressure on the drive cup edges and breaks them.

G

All the Redcats are prone to cup breakage. Many guys sleeve them for more durability.

crazyfast

RCDAD said:
All the Redcats are prone to cup breakage. Many guys sleeve them for more durability.
+1. I've bashed my XT harder than I probably should and I have yet to have a drive cup break. Last incident I barely clipped a tiny stump. It ripped my 7075RC hub right out of the carrier breaking the hub carrier and ripped the CVD right out of the cup AND even knocked the sleeve off the cup. I'm certain had that sleeve not been there, I would also be replacing the drive cup too.

Sleeving is cheap and easy. If you have issues after sleeving, then I'd think about upgrading.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlvaSpeed

I remember a couple of years ago I got a sleeve kit that came with glue and everything.

That worked great but got discontinued.

Is there a kit for the Chimera?

rampage idiot

There are guys doing it themselves with copper tube, I did mine with carbon fiber tube or 7075rc sells them done! http://www.7075rc.com/xt-1/ I am assuming the xt ones are the same as chimera, someone can chime in and correct me if not

John Blaze

I got my carbon fiber tube 20mm id off ebay for 20$ free shipping just sand the drive cups and inside the carbon tube and apply thin tire glue then your good to go

Last edited by a moderator:

Knuckles

RampageShop said:
Has anyone had good luck using the hardened drive cups instead of sleeving? I haven't had sold many of them so not sure if they are any better than the stockers.Here's a link: http://www.rampageshop.com/store/p765/710021_%C2%A0_Hardened_Front_%2F_Rear_Outdrive_Set_%282%29.html
My hardened ones are holding up for now. I think that the problem isn't the cups as much as there is to much twist in the a-arms. I hate to go aluminum on the arms but I think sleeving and new 7075 arms may due the trick.

This is my theory due to I broke Fastlane machine drive cups as well, which is hard to do.

andyken

John Blaze

I think the stock drive cups when sleeved are better than the hardened version because the metal around the pin should be able to flex a little as there is a lot of stress going through the pin and shaft of the drive cups

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online