• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Discussed before? Receiver/batt box idea!

jigawatt

Alrighty, I'm sure this has been brought up before... but this is what I've been pondering since Day 1 of getting my Rampage last year... the box NEEDS to get rid of the screws! If only the cap were held on by body clips instead like most other boxes are.

Does anyone know if there is any pending changes from the factory? Or am I just better off changing how the cover is on my own? I don't get why they'd use a different sized screw on the cover when the rest are 1mm bigger, you know darn well I lost that little one first :rolleyes:

kryptonite

i really don't have an issue with the radio box. why would you need to constantly get in their any way? is it to charge the pack? you should pick up a traxxas on off switch for $5 and it comes with a charging jack so you wont need to remove the cover. you will also notice that with the cover the way it is, it is barely water proof. putting body clips on it would turn your reciever into drift wood. i don't suspect redcat would want to change anything on the radio box. i think if it needs anything it would be a dust cover for the on/off switch and a charge jack for the reciever pack

jigawatt

um... I've never had a problem with moisture inside a box, never. But then again, every vehicle I've owned was a Kyosho before redcat. Every other box I've got on my cars have a body clip that holds these things sealed shut, the rampage is the very first that I've ever owned that uses screws. Either way, you should NEVER charge a battery pack inside a closed radio box.

At the very least, they should be thumb screws.

This was a CON in one of the magazines that this was reviewed in ;) even they suggested the same thing.

Here is a different review that is online, and THIS guy suggested the same thing: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=1051

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

hey jiga. i am by all means not disputing your issue. and yes. i read that guys review. its plain to see that was his first 5th scale...ever.. and i really do disagree. and thats ok. thumb screws are nice, but not really needed. there is also no issues at all with charging the reciever pack in the radio box. most 6v reciever packs come with a second plug so that it doesn't need to be disconected from the reciever. also fg,mcd, and hpi come standard with external charge jacks so you can leave the pack in the radio box. if you run like most of us you will see the radio box is NOT sealed.. we run in the snow, we ice race, we play in the rain, mud and anything else. considering that alot of us have at least $160 inside the radio box that is not even close to being water resistant,(reciever,failsafe,killswitch) im guessing messing around with 4 little screws every now and again wouldnt be an issue. but that is just an opinion, so if you fab up a mod for the box then please show us. we all love and welcome new ideas. i cant really comment on anything about the kyosho's. the last one i had was a kyosho ultima and that was nearly 18 years ago.. im sure they are still as good as they were back then.

jigawatt

As per HPI website:

Waterproof radio box...

...with rubber caps for charging jack and crystal

Nuff said...

kryptonite

ok ok.. never said it wasnt possible. hpi uses rubber inset gromets so you have to kinda push down to get the pin in(kinda easy) and the inside lip is inset quite a bit. and since we are on the topic, the single pin is great, but you have to remove half the roll cage to get more then one finger in the box. also note the external charging jack.. here is mine, "as per the real thing". i didnt mean to discourage you from attempting the mod that you sugjest, so don't take it the wrong way. its just that i personelly never really need to get in the box since i added the external chargeing jack like most others.

street 5b.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c60588cdd0_street5b.jpg.eae7ec32bcb302aa0f70411886b42796.jpg

jigawatt

To Admin: HPI's out of their mind

kryptonite... my point is that there are other manufacturers out there who use a lid that is this convenient and I've never come across one that leaked, but then again my RC experience only goes back to driving with the optimas and raiders, it isn't that far back when I consider how long several other 1/5 scalers have been in the hobby.

This is the only time I've owned a vehicle with a radio box that requires screws to hold the lid on, not gonna lie, I hate it with a passion. But then again, this is my first 1/5 scale (I'm used to 1/10 and 1/8 scale, so I suppose I'm spoiled with that and would consider it a luxury). I'm always in the box... after I'm done running for the day I pull the pack, cycle it (discharge and then charge at 3 amps). If this pack blows up (I've seen what packs do for damage), I prefer to have it outside of the vehicle ;) PLUS, these things get pretty warm, they need space to breathe... Now, if I wasn't peak charging, yeah its just fine to charge inside the box, however, I don't have the patience to wait a day to charge a pack when I can do it in less than an hour. Another thing to consider: Going lipo? You definitely don't want that in your radio box while charging ;) I'm pretty sure you'd want it inside a LiPO safe bag. Ever seen one explode? Hit up youtube and type in Lipo explode, pretty fun to watch :D

Now, another way they can do this, which is the way some Kyosho touring cars are... they can have the door swing out from the side instead of being on top. HPI is limited however, but they have the radio box I'd more than happily adopt.

Oh and one more thing, your pic is tiny :eek:

hamster huey

The only reasons I see that you would not want to charge you battery in the box is that batteries get hot during charging and to inspect condition (battery bars, overheat evidence, bad cell, leaking, dents from debris etc.). Yes it takes them longer to cool but be patient. The box can be completly waterproofed if you are inventive. Add a charge jack if you need one. Inspect periodically. Or just search until you find a new box you like? Someone on here uses a FG one. You might want to check that out.

jigawatt

the other reason is that I don't have multiple receivers for my new radio, I recently bought the newest MX-3FG, so I swap receivers from vehicle to vehicle.

DemonRC

Here's something that can make life easier.

Even though I've had two batteries melt inside a radio box (5b and my Eight-T) I still charge my batteries inside the box. I'm not a hard head... I'm from Texas and we have low IQ's down here HAHA :)

jigawatt

you'll always be a special character to me ;)

But yes, thats one example! I would have advertised it as "how to: get more space in the radio box"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts