• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Diff gear plate melted and bearing was seized?.?

Petrolheadz100

20180411_195827.jpg 20180411_202235.jpg 20180411_202235.jpg 20180411_195435.jpg Driving my chimera when i noticed the motor turned off. Odd because this motor has never turned off on me in over 3gal of fuel. Looked at the car and noticed i can see the clutch belland a shiny metal piece that i never seen against it. Tried to turn
the wheels and heard metal to metal contact in the clutch area. Took off the gear plate cover to see the pinion was pushed in and almost not in contact with the second gear it meshes with. Melted gear plate and on the other side pulled out the clutch bell and noticed the inner pinion bearing was seized will not move. From the friction of the plastic and metal spinning my gear plage is toast. Why did thia happen and whats the best aluminum gear plate to buy? Also im going to try and get better quality bearings so this doesn't happen again. Any suggestions on the bearings for a redcat chimera gear plate and also a aluminum gear plate? He 7075rc one looks good but says due to hollow design its intended for on road use, i run my car mostly off road

Last edited:

Phill

Driving my chimera when i noticed the motor turned off. Odd because this motor has never turned off on me in over 3gal of fuel. Looked at the car and noticed i can see the clutch belland a shiny metal piece that i never seen against it. Tried to turn
the wheels and heard metal to metal contact in the clutch area. Took off the gear plate cover to see the pinion was pushed in and almost not in contact with the second gear it meshes with. Melted gear plate and on the other side pulled out the clutch bell and noticed the inner pinion bearing was seized will not move. From the friction of the plastic and metal spinning my gear plage is toast. Why did thia happen and whats the best aluminum gear plate to buy? Also im going to try and get better quality bearings so this doesn't happen again. Any suggestions on the bearings for a redcat chimera gear plate and also a aluminum gear plate? He 7075rc one looks good but says due to hollow design its intended for on road use, i run my car mostly off road

Have another look at 7075.
There's 2 versions.

sunoco

View attachment 14046 View attachment 14047 View attachment 14047 View attachment 14048 Driving my chimera when i noticed the motor turned off. Odd because this motor has never turned off on me in over 3gal of fuel. Looked at the car and noticed i can see the clutch belland a shiny metal piece that i never seen against it. Tried to turn

sunoco

three gallons of gas is lots of running time. the car needs to be completely stripped inspected before more bearings dry out -over heat and fail. sealed bearings can be cleaned, regreased easly. you just gotta carefully remove the seals on both sides of the bearings- flush the bearings out, regrease, pop the seals back in.--- the fast eddy high grade bearing kit is affordable, faster way to rebuild. most likely the input shaft bearings are wasted inside the rear diff also, ready to overheat and cook the diff case.

Petrolheadz100

three gallons of gas is lots of running time. the car needs to be completely stripped inspected before more bearings dry out -over heat and fail. sealed bearings can be cleaned, regreased easly. you just gotta carefully remove the seals on both sides of the bearings- flush the bearings out, regrease, pop the seals back in.--- the fast eddy high grade bearing kit is affordable, faster way to rebuild. most likely the input shaft bearings are wasted inside the rear diff also, ready to overheat and cook the diff case.
I bet they are do you have a link to those bearings and is it the whole set for the car or is it just for specific parts I'm looking to upgrade them all

sunoco

I bet they are do you have a link to those bearings and is it the whole set for the car or is it just for specific parts I'm looking to upgrade them all
go to amazon. use the search engine. enter- fast eddy bearing kit for redcat r-c. about 60 dollars.

sunoco

37 dollars and 3 dollars shipping--- an unbeatable deal actually--
its getting harder to find expansion chambers for these redcats it seems-- for general screwing around type running-- i would bolt up a can type exhaust. the c-y helecopter can type exhaust, add exhaust tubing to keep the mess off the car-- nice spelling on this post huh? ----

sunoco

its getting harder to find expansion chambers for these redcats it seems-- for general screwing around type running-- i would bolt up a can type exhaust. the c-y helecopter can type exhaust, add exhaust tubing to keep the mess off the car-- nice spelling on this post huh? ----
Go to Daves Discount Motors.-- use the search engine in the top right hand corner.-- enter this-- F-D 220. $10.00. Overall, your car and wallet will thank you. Use the money you save to buy other improvements -

sunoco

Go to Daves Discount Motors.-- use the search engine in the top right hand corner.-- enter this-- F-D 220. $10.00. Overall, your car and wallet will thank you. Use the money you save to buy other improvements -
i post too much-- just trying to help though-- on ddm site, buy f-d- 220. AND f-d-81xx. I have modded non chromed ddm baja 5-b version 1 pipes into redcat side pipes- easy really- not hard to find used beater pipes to mod either. - jack of all trades and master of none here !!! lol.

Petrolheadz100

Yea i bet but ill rather spend the money and drop in a jetpro pipe once they are in stock and not deal with it, these stock chinese tuned pipes are crap , about every gallon of fuel hey split or warp, incredible the cheap thin aluminum they use

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online