• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dies when applying the breaks

Stygian

Banned
Ok I have the Rampage XB Buggy and after finally getting it running again after flooding the engine it's running decently but once I apply the breaks the XB dies but it will fire right back up I have tried adjusting the H and L and also the idle screw but still no results, any ideas and suggestions?

andyken

throttle linkage...watch the carb lever, and go from idle to brake, I bet it closes more on brake.

Set throttle trim and adjust idle so it will not close more with brake.

G

Agreed. Your idle needs to be a tad higher. It can be raised by turning in the idle stop screw and or turning in (leaning) the L needle screw. The H needle screw won't effect the idle.

Your servo might not be centered. So when you are applying the brakes it returns the carb to idle. The idle stop screw won't do its job if the servo is not centered.

Last edited:

Stygian

Banned
andyken said:
throttle linkage...watch the carb lever, and go from idle to brake, I bet it closes more on brake.Set throttle trim and adjust idle so it will not close more with brake.
Thanks for the tip, do I need to take the air filter off to check this as Im new to gas powered rc cars so not too sure where to look to watch

Stygian

Banned
Ok I adjusted the idle screw and now it will stay running but I have a new issue once I hit the breaks they are sticking and not releasing.

Edit:

I should add that I can manually turn the wheels if I pick the car up off the ground but it won't roll if it's on the ground

Last edited by a moderator:

andyken

Set screw on brake linkage/spring too tight? did you adjust the throttle trim?

G

If you adjusted the throttle trim on the radio the brakes might now be fully engaged.

papaw

Could the spring be getting hung-up on the brake arm?

Stygian

Banned
I flipped the car over to look at that gear that moves and it seems to be stuck really tight, not sure what could have happened or why it won't move

G

Yes.

When you adjust it one way the servo goes towards the carb giving throttle and releasing brakes. When you adjust it the other way it will release the throttle and engages the brakes. You need to find the sweet spot in the middle.

Sprint 77

Contributor
Your idle should be set mechanicaly off the Carberator . Then set your servo and linkage up afterwards. You realy not good idea to adjust the radio trim to increase the idle.

Stygian

Banned
I just checked the throttle trim on the transmitter that wasn't the issue, I did notice that the gear that you can see undernearth the car will not turn no matter what, it seems to be frozen in place

Stygian

Banned
here's a pic of the linkage

G

Take the side gear cover off. Inspect the gears and gear plate. Check the plate for cracks.

G

Did you have the brake issue before you fixed the throttle issue? Did your throttle fix cause the new issue?

Stygian

Banned
I believe it started before the throttle issue was fixed, cause when I would let off the throttle the brakes seemed to be getting engaged and then using the brakes seemed to cause the issue I am having now.

G

Ok...

Then we need to start with the side gears and go from there. Take the cover off and inspect. Hopefully it's all intact. But this can happen.

-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts