• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

CY 29cc engine feedback....

Petrolheadz100

My stock engine 30cc crankcase fan cover area has a crack where it covers the flywheel..instead of going through the hastle of finding what crankcase cover fits these engines im going to sell it and was planning on getting the cy29cc engine that puts out 3.5hp like my stock does. Anyone have any experience on these if they will be a good for for the rampages (chimera to be exact?)

Phill

My stock engine 30cc crankcase fan cover area has a crack where it covers the flywheel..instead of going through the hastle of finding what crankcase cover fits these engines im going to sell it and was planning on getting the cy29cc engine that puts out 3.5hp like my stock does. Anyone have any experience on these if they will be a good for for the rampages (chimera to be exact?)

I'd just go for a Zenoah G290 and have a more reliable motor from the start.

Petrolheadz100

My question is the mounting with the zenoahs what needs to be used for it to bolt onto our chassis just the CY fan cover where the enging bolts to? His confuses me because the g320 needs the CY fan cover and the modified clutch housing to fit, the g290 doesn't specify any of that

Petrolheadz100

'm thinking about getting the g290 but wonder is the Hy clutch carrier will both on to the crankcase. Also the intake manifold I don't think they are the same

sunoco

go for the zenoah, ditch the plastic intake . buy this-- ddm- av-540. buy his stainless steel graphite coated intake gasket- put it between the head- manafold.-- it will outlast the engine and never leak-- use the teflon at the carb- ada intake-- buy 5 or more, this way changing carbs is effortless & fast. yes the hy clutch housing should work fine -the cy clutch shoes are better than the zenoah-- for me anyways-- actually a stud kit to replace the exhaust bolts is a good idea too--- less hassle over time.

if it was me- i would buy a brand new wt 668 carb - perhaps with bearings installed on the carb main body at the same time -- ease of use- tune-starting why screw around with a used beater carb on a brand new engine?

Petrolheadz100

if it was me- i would buy a brand new wt 668 carb - perhaps with bearings installed on the carb main body at the same time -- ease of use- tune-starting why screw around with a used beater carb on a brand new engine?
yes well the g290 comes with a 990 carb wonder if I should get the 668 or just use the chocolates 990. I purchased the RB Innovations heatsink insulator I was planning on using that

My question is the mounting with the zenoahs what needs to be used for it to bolt onto our chassis just the CY fan cover where the enging bolts to? His confuses me because the g320 needs the CY fan cover and the modified clutch housing to fit, the g290 doesn't specify any of that
correction yes it does specify that you need to use the Cy clutch assembly along with the Cy fan cover to make it fit to a Losi platform which is the same as the Rampage cas

sunoco

oh- thought you were buying a bare long block 290- the 990 is a good carb- heck they all are. on my f-270 with jet pro rear mount- xb car- my 990 seems to favor 1 1/4 out on low speed fuel screw, 1 1/2 out on high speed fuel screw. 30-40% humidity- 70 degrees.--- Flordia? you will have to go leaner- high heat- humidity makes engines run richer-- so does high elevation. yea its been said its a hassle before. i prime up my chokeless engines with a squirt bottle- 1st crank- every time- frezzing weather- 100 degrees- sat for a year unused- same story-- 1st crank- first time piston reaches tdc- it lights off.-- do the same thing with chain saws-- not into cranking.-- even the 668 requires several pulls on a cold motor to light it off. ever watch racers light off a top fuel full sized funnycar- dragster? check it out on u-tube-- they squirt fuel with a squirt bottle into the blower.

just wanna add- phils idea- using starting fluid - thats a good way to light off chokeless carbs too- starting fluid usually has a small amount of lube-oil in it.--- as for the priming the way i said-- it takes about 8 to 10 single drops of gas oil mix into the spark plug hole-- i have this down to an art- i just mist the gas & oil into the carb.

sunoco

the blower- supercharger on a full sized top fuel dragster is on top of the engine. its a high speed air pump driven off the engines crank shaft. top fuel - that means the engine runs on alchol - nitro methane, they can produce approx 8 to 10 thousand horrsepower. the engines are completely strapped down with safety straps- ifthe blower -and or the entire engine explodes- it helps keep people from being hit from flying engine parts. this is usually caused by a valve failure in the engine heads- running to lean can burn a hole in a piston- this can result in the engine exploding like a bomb-- the fuel gets into the bottom end and ignites the oil-- kaboom. trivia time-- long ago we- america had a spyplane-- sr-71 blackbird.-- this plane was started with highly modded supercharged general motors 454 cubic inch engines-- -- gasoline powered. best guess would be- 500-800 horsepower. quite the starter motor huh???

Petrolheadz100

got my engine apart and looking at the Piston Ring since this is my first time taking one of these apart where the Piston Ring splits do you have to push that in when putting the head back on or is there a better technique 20180523_183714.jpg 20180523_183714.jpg

Phill

'm thinking about getting the g290 but wonder is the Hy clutch carrier will both on to the crankcase. Also the intake manifold I don't think they are the same

Apart from the fan cover it all bolts straight in.
No need to change the clutch carrier.
The metalised intake on the Zen is fine and doesn't warp.
Mine's been on for 4 yrs with no probs.
The 320 is wider requiring you to use the "shorty" clutch housing.

got my engine apart and looking at the Piston Ring since this is my first time taking one of these apart where the Piston Ring splits do you have to push that in when putting the head back on or is there a better technique View attachment 14133 View attachment 14133

Just put a bit of 2 stroke oil in the cylinder to lube it and hold the ring in with your fingers as you slide it in.
Make sure the gap in the ring is lined up properly on the piston.

yes well the g290 comes with a 990 carb wonder if I should get the 668 or just use the chocolates 990. I purchased the RB Innovations heatsink insulator I was planning on using that

You can order the 290 with a 668.
Just send em an email.
I highly recommend the 668 over the chokeless 990 unless you want to carry starter fluid every where you go.
My 990 is sitting in my toolbox where it doesn't cause any probs.
My 290 runs great with the 668.

Last edited:

Petrolheadz100

I have a 668 from my stock 30cc i asked Steve and he said the 990 should be primed slowly a couple times and should fire up.....

Phill

SHOULD is the important word there.
Is the 668 that you have the stock carb that came on the car?
If so you'll probably find it's a clone.

Last edited:

sunoco

you can have a properly operating carb off the car- hook up fuel lines- push the bulb all day long and not one drop of gas will come out of the carb. perhaps i am doing it wrong on the 990-771. i have to add gas into the motor to start it.-- even after its been running- it can set for 15 min and will not start unless its primed up tru the carb throat-or plug hole.- i suppose you could try to put your hand over the carbs intake- crank it over to get fuel in motor-?? but if the air filters removed anyways--

Petrolheadz100

Apart from the fan cover it all bolts straight in.
No need to change the clutch carrier.
The metalised intake on the Zen is fine and doesn't warp.
Mine's been on for 4 yrs with no probs.
The 320 is wider requiring you to use the "shorty" clutch housing.

Just put a bit of 2 stroke oil in the cylinder to lube it and hold the ring in with your fingers as you slide it in.
Make sure the gap in the ring is lined up properly on the piston.

You can order the 290 with a 668.
Just send em an email.
I highly recommend the 668 over the chokeless 990 unless you want to carry starter fluid every where you go.
My 990 is sitting in my toolbox where it doesn't cause any probs.
My 290 runs great with the 668.
Are you sure that you are using th zenoah clutch case and not the one that came on the stock motor to fit in the red cats. Steve at Ddm said that you must use the stock Hy clutch carrier to fit the 290 and it says it in their description? I ended jp buying a zen g290

Phill

Just bolted straight in except for the fan cover.
54mm clutch same as my Redcat.
If you need to you can just take the parts off your old motor but unless something has changed it should go straight in.
My HY clutch is still on my old motor.
It says here
NOTE: For customers installing this into the Losi DBXL, you must use the CY Fan cover and clutch case for proper fitment. The Losi DBXL comes with a CY engine stock, so you can just use your stock fan cover and clutch case.
So only applies to Losi DBXL.

Petrolheadz100

NOTE: For customers installing this into the Losi 5IVE-T/TLR 5IVE-B or Desert Buggy XL (DBXL), you must use your stock fan cover and clutch - the CY Fan cover (EG411) and clutch case for proper fitment. We suggest you purchase the engine without clutch and purchase the CY Clutch Assembly (gt240) separately, if you do not have these parts already.

Are you referring to zenoah or cy? This is what the zg290 says

sunoco

say petrolheads--- you in florida? look here- this guy is good. Gizmomotors- find him on the www. I have one of first versions of a 30.5 cc zenoah engines in a 4wd thunderbolt. this car is heavy! This engine kicks as# !! reliable as a clawhammer too. He has lot building supplies--- And --- another chokeless carb ! lol. this is a smooth good carb.- WT-771. -- and a modded version also--- Bartow florida - i think thats where he is. I have traded with him for years. 100% top shelf business. my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online