• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

crank case bearings and seals

Kaz the Minotaur

I had a terrible time getting the crank case bearings and seals removed. I ended up destroying the seals. I had to pound the bearings out with a socket. Anyone else have this problem?

kryptonite

i had that problem with 2 other cy mills. i didnt use a socket though. i hasd a wooden dowel shopen in a cone that slid into the center of the bearing. i olso used a big freak'in hammer. having fun yet? :rolleyes:

kryptonite

YUP.. i guess your not have fun yet? just kidding. they go in easer, but don't bang on them. see if you can use a small c-clamp. try to get something coned shape to go on the inside so you don't "wack-up" the seals..

Kaz the Minotaur

I am some what having fun since I am at work at the moment. I will be having more fun tomorrow when I am putting the engine back together and throwing back a few beers.

Yeah, I will have to think of something better to use to get them in there. To bad I couldn figure out a way to press them in with the vise. I think the key will be putting even pressure on it.

Simsy

I just put them in my press easy as every time. and you want them to be tight anyway you should also replace the seals every time you remove the crank.

Clubin

Banned
Wifey likes how I do it, boil the case sides in a pot on the oven for a few minutes carefully remove the parts and slap the case on a piece of wood and the bearings fall out. Same goes for re install heat the case freeze the bearings saves pounding on anything.

Clubin

Banned
Kaz the Minotaur said:
I can probably handle boiling the case halves in a pot.
"But honey my internet friends told me to do it."
Then you could make soup with the broth. MMMMmmmm good.

THe nice thing about doing the case bearings this way is it cleans them up real good.

Kaz the Minotaur

Mission accomplished.

The seals went in much easier. I still had to pound the bearings in but it was easier. I put a small aluminum bar across the bearing so the force was distributed evenly.

The copper gasket heated up nicely with the stove burner cranked up to 6. I held it in some samll vice grips. My older son asked me what I was doing and I told him I was going to brand him like the cattle ranchers in the old west did to their cattle. :D

hamster huey

Im building my 27.2 so I started reading up on this. There is a method of baking some of the parts in the oven a putting the other parts in the fridge. I don't remember exactly. I got lucky and eneded up getting 2 deal of the day crankcases with bearing and seals installed. That should save some time!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.