• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Correct spark plugs

Ronk

My son has an XB & I have an MT5 - both have CPI exhausts & High Flow Air Cleaners - we are running NGKR CR7HS Plugs - plugs are burning light brown but motors were stalling at idle last time to pits - both motors are making good power - are these the correct plugs ??

csp1971

Contributor
Have you adjusted the idle screw at all?

I've been using NGK CMR7H (3066).

Here is a good spark plug chart that gives you the meaning of the numbers (in case you care, I was interested, so I looked it up :p )

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/docs/tech/partnumberkey.pdf

Looks like the only differences between what you are using and what I've been using are the M and S. Compact (M) probably doesn't matter. I'm not certain what the differences are in a standard electrode.

C: 10mm thread diameter

R: Resistor Type

7: Heat rating number (2 Hot ---- 11 cold)

H: 12.7mm thread reach

S: Standard 2.5mm center electrode

C: 10mm thread diameter

M: Compact Type

R: Resistor Type

7: Heat rating number (2 Hot ---- 11 cold)

H: 12.7mm thread reach

Deluge

From NGK:

Q: When should I use a resistor spark plug?

A: NGK "R" or resistor spark plugs use a 5k ohm ceramic resistor in the spark plug to suppress ignition noise generated during sparking.

NGK strongly recommends using resistor spark plugs in any vehicle that uses on-board computer systems to monitor or control engine performance. This is because resistor spark plugs reduce electromagnetic interference with on-board electronics.

They are also recommended on any vehicle that has other on-board electronic systems such as engine-management computers, two-way radios, GPS systems, depth finders or whenever recommended by the manufacturer.

In fact, using a non-resistor plug in certain applications can actually cause the engine to suffer undesirable side effects such as an erratic idle, high-rpm misfire, engine run-on, power drop off at certain rpm levels and abnormal combustion.

-----------------------------------------

Anyway, if you need a spark plug and you have a Lowes nearby, stop by and look around their outdoor power equipment section. The last time I was there they had Champion RZ7C's for about 5 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronk

Thanks for the spark plug info -I never knew what the numbers actually meant - very interesting - my son has adjusted his idle screw but I have not Thanks !!!!

foxys

I've found cmr7h's at both Checker (or Shucks, depending on where you live) and O'Reillys, as well as Autozone. Most places are 3 or 4 bucks a plug.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts