• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Clutch spring snapped

Petrolheadz100

20180405_200926.jpg This is a never ending disassemble and reassemble pit machine, only has 2 gallong of fuel through it and have taken it apart about 6 times to repair things......what the heck....why would a clutch spring snap like this? 20180405_202923.jpg

Last edited:

sunoco

View attachment 14035 This is a never ending disassemble and reassemble pit machine, only has 2 gallong of fuel through it and have taken it apart about 6 times to repair things......what the heck....why would a clutch spring snap like this? View attachment 14034
If it has wheels you are gonna have problems with it.-- 2 gallons is a lot of fuel. You could try a higher grade spring- ddm has a bunch of them. wash those dishes. lol.

Petrolheadz100

If it has wheels you are gonna have problems with it.-- 2 gallons is a lot of fuel. You could try a higher grade spring- ddm has a bunch of them. wash those dishes. lol.
LOL. What is the major difference between the 6000 7000 8000 rpm springs besides the delayed engagement? What are the benefits of using a higher RPM spring versus a lower RPM spring?

sunoco

its the same thing as popping the clutch at higher or lower rpm-s in a real car. i ran a 9,500 spring for a while on an xb.-- it was fun but rough on drive train parts. myself- overall- i favor the 7,500 spring.- most times using a non lightened set of clutch shoes- new ones, 7,500 is where a rc starts to move. the clutch locks up about 1,000 rpm higher. I mentioned this before- Detroit rc has steel clutch shoes for sale. these will lock up harder.- takes about 1/2 hour of gentle break in before hammering the throttle.- ALL chain saws- most weed eaters have steel shoes. in a chain saw-- fiber clutch shoes would not last tru a cord of wood. burn the assembly up from slipping, coming apart. oh- forget the zenoah black colored shoes-- they slipped too much even in a light xb.

Petrolheadz100

its the same thing as popping the clutch at higher or lower rpm-s in a real car. i ran a 9,500 spring for a while on an xb.-- it was fun but rough on drive train parts. myself- overall- i favor the 7,500 spring.- most times using a non lightened set of clutch shoes- new ones, 7,500 is where a rc starts to move. the clutch locks up about 1,000 rpm higher. I mentioned this before- Detroit rc has steel clutch shoes for sale. these will lock up harder.- takes about 1/2 hour of gentle break in before hammering the throttle.- ALL chain saws- most weed eaters have steel shoes. in a chain saw-- fiber clutch shoes would not last tru a cord of wood. burn the assembly up from slipping, coming apart. oh- forget the zenoah black colored shoes-- they slipped too much even in a light xb.
Nice i fo, going to check out detroit rc, the steel shoes i assume will last longer as well? I popped in a new clutch (stock) and immediately i noticed it grab as soon as i applied throttle, guess my old ones were getting wore down, especially in low rpms it would sound but barely move until you get to about 1/4-1/2 throttle

sunoco

Nice i fo, going to check out detroit rc, the steel shoes i assume will last longer as well? I popped in a new clutch (stock) and immediately i noticed it grab as soon as i applied throttle, guess my old ones were getting wore down, especially in low rpms it would sound but barely move until you get to about 1/4-1/2 throttle
Its called Detroit Peformance rc. click on parts for Baja- keep looking- it will show up- You can also buy springs with the shoes- about 27 bucks for the shoes- I have a set for a 5 b build here. Nice holland made pipes there also. "booster" pipes. nothing for the redcats though-- should be, there are more r-c than losi & hpi.

Petrolheadz100

By what i understand the redcats use the standard 54mm clutches correct? Or any baja clutch should fit the redcats?

sunoco

By what i understand the redcats use the standard 54mm clutches correct? Or any baja clutch should fit the redcats?
54mm is standard size. but-- there are 2 sizes of holes on the clutch shoes where the bolts go tru. i think one size hole is 8mm- the other 7mm? - just measure your clutch bolts- the area where there are no threads.

Petrolheadz100

Thats what i was wondering , ill research i don't have a way to measure the bolt, i knkw in DDM they specify somewhere the size of the redcat clutch bolts

sunoco

I found the box with the clutch parts-- The 2 sizes are-- 9 and 8 mm. the steel clutch shoes come without bolts- flat & wavy washers.- the steel shoes require 8mm bolts-both types of washers 8mm also. IF memory is correct-- the zenoah clutches are 8mm. not 100% shure of this. wild guess.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.