• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Clone discussion

xscrick

Banned
have a question on clones,, I know hpi bajas have several clones out there,,,, turnigy, rovan, king motors,,, but how about redcat?? is redcat a clone?? with exceed, hsp,, all same cars, different names.. hy engines on the cars are copies of cy engines and walbro carbs right?? and all the parts are pretty much interchangeable??

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Redcat is an importer of HSP products. HSP produces Redcat, Exceed, Maverick ect.

xscrick

Banned
so in general redcat is a clone, correct,, its putting its name on the same or similar product that is available here or overseas under a different name or market ,, >> cause as far as I have read about Baja clones,,, they have same problems as hpi versions, parts are all interchangeable,, but at half price,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

travmess

far as i kno about hsp and redcat and the others using the same design is they r the exact same car just rebadged for different markets. unlike hpi clones which i completly built outside of hpi out of inferior materials. im with troy on this subject tho if u cant afford a real baja a clone may be ur only option the biggest problem is when someone thinks its an actual hpi and when the cheap parts break they start bashing hpi rather than km or rovan or whoever. i have two hpi bajas and a redcat at the moment i don't exactly like clones but don't hate on people who have them that may not kno wat they got or why it was so much cheaper of got scammed by someone selling it as "genuine hpi" when it wasnt. ok ill get off my soapbox. on to the main subject of this thread...this looks like an aesome car have seen it at powerjam and in troys shop here locally. hes really workin hard at needed/useful upgrades for this car and the other x series cars as well. awesome guy and aswesome shop. this build will be epic just like his xb. cant wait to watch the transformation

Deluge

The thing is HPI put money into designing their vehicle. They did all of the dirty work, they should be the only company profiting from their design. I know I'd be pissed if I put up my money to create a product, only to have the design stolen and sold at half the price. Everybody is trying to put food on the table, and stepping in front of another man's progress is wrong. That's how I see it.

This is an expensive hobby. If you see something you want, bust your ass to get it like the rest of us.

travmess

Very true deluge. But and im not sticking up for clones by anybmeans... like u said everybody is tryin tobput food on the table... some create original meals and others just buy cheap tv dinners sometimes its the same meal but definatly doesn't taste or cost the same. And yes this is an expensive hobby and anyone looking into this hobby should be required to do research and talk with people and troll the forums to make sure they can afford it and that they r well informed before they bump their cash on a car watever it may be. In closing there have always been clones and will always be clones... not necissarily in our large scale world but all around us in everyday life that people don't even think about clones r a disease in our community but there only cure is informing peopleand not imo completly shunning cloners out as they may not have been properly informed. If they kno they have a clone and bash on hpi and try to say how much better there clone is then by all means they need banished from largescale comunities

G

xscrick said:
so in general redcat is a clone, correct,, its putting its name on the same or similar product that is available here or overseas under a different name or market ,, >> cause as far as I have read about Baja clones,,, they have same problems as hpi versions, parts are all interchangeable,, but at half price,,,
No not at all. HSP is a manufacture of RC products. They design and will take input from their distributors. They produce and design the product and will put your name on it and let you do our own marketing. That's why you see HSP products with different names. HSP will let the distributor pick from options on the vehicle to be produced, that's why there are differences between Redcat, Exceed, Maverick ect. There are no copies they are all made by HSP.

RampageHopUps

Most of the time, Rwdcat gives them a concept and HSP makes a sample. Then Rwscat makes some changes and approves production. HSP then sells it to other distributors as they see fit.

Wait until you see the next design thats coming from Redcat.

chrispc66

I believe HSP base some units on the MCD layout. I have two HSP buggies, identical. Mummyer, Rampage TT-5, Himoto....whatever. Hopped up they are an awesome RC basher.

I have asked a similar query elsewhere, I'm convinced HSP are a builder in their own right, although the new chimera does reflect the HPI shorty design a little. There are similarities between the MCD buggy and the HSP buggy, also the HSP truck, (MT-5) and the nutech one.

At least these bring awesome RC fun to the masses. I see no need to spend $1000's on a single RC unit, only needling to spend more to hop up.

I have a friend with a genuine HPI, there's no way his buggy even goes close to my hopped up HSP in a short course layout. Sure, it has more top end, but handling and acceleration around a short course.....no way, its just out of control trying to keep up.

I thrash my HSP buggys....they are well built and strong. Never had any major failure or serios breakage.......yet!

travmess

if they r that commited then they need to listen to us a lil more on wat needs changed the 22mm hubs on the chimera......really??? theres absolutly nothin else on the market that will fit those hubs..... seems the standard has become the hpi 24mm hub size and wheres the clear bodies weve been begging for for so long??

Ildy666

rampagemt said:
I still love my savage and still bash it hard great trucks
Love mine too.still bash mine hard it flies and its tough as nails....

twissted

Banned
redcat has rc's that are there own and make there designs different such as using 4 wheel drive in a buggy that you would find as a 2 wheel from hpi.

I enjoy building and if someone is willing to copy me, then buy the time they have it on the market I would or should have something different or even better. If you rest on something you did in the past you will get left there (in the past). I'm not saying that stealing is ok. But in racing circles it it very common to use what works. This makes things better in the long run and people that make things on a regular bases knows this. It's how things are done, right or wrong that is how it is.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.