• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Chimera information needed

CyberVet65

Contributor
I am looking/comparing/gathering information about my next truck.

There are a number of things that I like about the Chimera. It has the same chassis similar to the MT that I own. It has a 30cc engine and is a "shorter" truck than the Rovan or the King motor T1000GT.

I notice the Rovan has a metal and plastic underframe. I have seen pics where that fails once in a while. Same with the King Motors truck.

I don't care that the King Motor truck or the Rovan are HPI compatable.

Just looking for reliability and availability of parts.

Any issues with the Chimera compared to the Rovan or the KM?

Information is knowledge on how to spend my IRA!!!! :D

Silent_chaos

From what I have heard here, I think the Chimera has the same platform of XB/XT and not MT.

I have discussed with Dan (owner of KM and Rovan) about 5b and t1000gt and its brothers from the Rovan family (note that their parts are all interchangeable).

It all comes down on whether you are searching for a 2wd or a 4wd truck. If it's a 4wd, then get Chimera or losi dbxl.

Chimera is interchangeable with XB/XT products, so you have a lot of aftermarket parts that are compatible. From 7075rc diff house, chassis, arms, shock towers to hubs to dgi links and arms, to 2speed and wheel adaptors(The whole nine yards)

If you get a KM or a Rovan, you are getting a 2wd (faster than 4wd), note that it is 600$ cheaper than the original HPI. since all the parts are interchengeable between all platforms of km/rovan/hpi, almost all users prefer getting the knock off and then install Turtle Racing products to upgrade their truck. (Ull be doing that anyways)

After A LOT of research, you need to upgrade the below following on your km/rovan/HPI to make it bulletproof, with these upgrades you can run the car 100mph without fear of failure.

(And Whatever you do, do not get the All Aluminum km/rovan truck)

-install TR quick diff: 135$

-install TR Racing clutch: 160$

-install TR servo Savor: 90$

-upgrade pinion and gear: 60$

-upgrade servos: 150$ ( you might do this for Chimera as well)

-install Vertigo front axle extenders:40$

-add a new DOM pipe (best pipe): 160$ (you might do this for Chimera as well)

So original truck 530$ (ask for a discount he will give it for 510$) + above parts 800$= 1310$ Overall.

but 310$ is common with chimera servos and pipe. so 500$

Ofcourse, other users have installed other TR products for more bullet proofness like the front/rear upper plate and front/rear shock towers and even FLM hardened extended racing arms for more stability. (you don't need to do this unless you are bashing REALLY REALLY HARD) which is another 500$ overall

Note that every part whether it's hpi/km /rovan will break eventually. Thats why people always tend to upgrade their bajas.

As for availability, 5b/5t/5sc trucks have the widest aftermarket parts available. Yes widest. Forums are full of topics and crazy ideas.

As far as im concerned, if you want to get a 2wd, get the knock off (since you will be changing most of the parts eventually) and you'll be benefitting the 30.5cc 4 bolt engine instead of the 26cc from HPI.

As a final note, i picked a used 5b this week that im enjoying it. See thread: ( http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=13479)

2wd platform is something different, requires skills to drive and a lot more fun than 4wd to be honest.

Kraken RC (a known company in cali) have been fabricating a TSK class 1 kit for the 5b/5t/5sc platforms. They have one ready and is widely used by many. See below utube vid

Couple of months later, they plan releasing other conversion cages like the sidewinder sandrail sx5 (blue) and another class B version (orange), all with chassis, cage and other upgrades. (all interchangeable with 5b/5t/5sc)

Ofcourse, my original plan is to do a kraken conversion and put in a big bore in it.

See the below youtube video on the old kraken's cage:

And here are some pics on the future releases ( I hope next month):

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

The chimera is on the XB XT platform not the MT. The chimera has major chassis flex so you will need old fart chassis and diff housing real soon out of the box. It depends on greatly how you are going to be running the chimera. If you are running in just parking lots or flat grounds then you will be ok with the stock parts a lil longer, if you are running on a track our making any hills or jumps you will see faliure in these parts real soon.

The KM has a lil bit better in durability then rovan but with upgrades also they can be made to be just as strong.

You have to choose if you want 2wd or 4wd drive I prefer 4 wd drive over 2wd but its a personal preference and 4wd can also be upgraded to run just as fast or faster then 2wd drive also.

If you want 4wd and don't care about clones Rovan also has a clone 5T I have a losi 5t and I have the clone 5T from rovan I have only 3 tanks in the clone so far so I have not had a chance to track run it yet or beat the crap out of it like I have the losi 5 but so far it has held up well with know problem and $800.00 cheaper.

So the bottom line should be get what you pocket book can afford get what you like the most and have fun with it. All of them will break wear out parts will need upgrades have they good and bad points. JUST HAVE FUN!!!!

Silent_chaos

rcgasser said:
The chimera is on the XB XT platform not the MT. The chimera has major chassis flex so you will need old fart chassis and diff housing real soon out of the box. It depends on greatly how you are going to be running the chimera. If you are running in just parking lots or flat grounds then you will be ok with the stock parts a lil longer, if you are running on a track our making any hills or jumps you will see faliure in these parts real soon.The KM has a lil bit better in durability then rovan but with upgrades also they can be made to be just as strong.

You have to choose if you want 2wd or 4wd drive I prefer 4 wd drive over 2wd but its a personal preference and 4wd can also be upgraded to run just as fast or faster then 2wd drive also.

If you want 4wd and don't care about clones Rovan also has a clone 5T I have a losi 5t and I have the clone 5T from rovan I have only 3 tanks in the clone so far so I have not had a chance to track run it yet or beat the crap out of it like I have the losi 5 but so far it has held up well with know problem and $800.00 cheaper.

So the bottom line should be get what you pocket book can afford get what you like the most and have fun with it. All of them will break wear out parts will need upgrades have they good and bad points. JUST HAVE FUN!!!!
can you post pics showing the Inside of the Losi knock off?

is it any good?

CyberVet65

Contributor
I should clarify. The Chimera has a one piece chassis like the MT. Where the KM and the Rovan has a three or two piece undercarriage.

The KM buggy looks like the way to go.

Clones? Oh the contraversy!!!!!!! Buy a clone and destroy the industry! Holy Crap! It is a toy! A hobby! Just my take.

More to say on that but not gonna. My money and I spend it the way I want. End.

I like the KM buggy. Everything is just a "little" better. And it is HPi 5B compatible. As parts break I will put HPi in place. I don't like the belt drive for the 4wd. I think the regular 2wd will be fine.

The Chimera is still in the hunt. Just collecting views and reviews.

Thanks for the input.

Silent_chaos

The rovan/km chassis is the same as the Hpi. I will post a pic once i get home.

Also, The new 7075rc chassis is composed of main chassis and front and rear smaller plates that you bolt them together. You will be kinda forced to replace the chassis anyways. (Unless you plan on running in a close parking space and leaving everything stock)

Im not bashing chimera but some platforms have their weak points

There are a lot better parts than the HPI stock parts that you can replace.

It is more or less the same price.

What ever you do not get the 4wd km/rovan trucks. The belt drive isnt that reliable and from what i heard in forums you will not be happy.

In any case. It's your money, im just advising my 2 cents

X-ray man

It is very different then my MT.. The MT parts are much heavier plastic but I do use my MT wheels on my chimera. It looks crazy but I like it, they are a direct fit but you do not have as much thread sticking out. Still I have had no issue running them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts