• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

charging and battery for volcano exp

steamboat

I just bought a new volcano exp and am using the stock charger and battery, i don't know how long it takes to charger. And when i get a nee charger and battery what should i get? any help would be appreciated.

Deluge

The stock charger charges at about 250mA. The EPX comes with a 2000mAh battery, so it'll take about 8 hours to fully charge.

Do you have the brushed or brushless version? That'll sort of determine what kind of battery would be best.

steamboat

I have the brushless, and do you know of good tools that work with the volcano?

Deluge

If it's brushless, you could go with a 2S LiPo. This is what I run in my 10th and 8th scale vehicles.

Turnigy nano-tech 5300mah 2S2P 30~60C Hardcase Lipo Pack (ROAR APPROVED)

Turnigy 5000mAh 2S1P 20C hardcase pack (ROAR APPROVED)

This is the charger I'm currently using.

Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A Balancer/Charger w/ accessories

You'll need a power supply for that charger, as well. I just modified an ATX PC power supply I had laying around. It's super easy to do.

You'll also need to solder new plugs onto the batteries, if they don't match up to the ESC.

You could also stick to the NiMH packs, but at this point in the hobby it doesn't make much sense.

What kind of hardware does the EPX have? From the pics it looks like it has phillips head screws. Bondhus make some nice tool kits. I'm sure they make a phillips kit, as well. They can be easily found on Ebay.

G

I have also had great luck with the Turnigy batteries. I like the nano techs.

Deluge

Then you'd have to verify if it's LiPo compatible. That info should be in your manual. If it's not LiPo compatible, you're stuck with NiMH packs unless you upgrade the ESC. You can find NiMH packs on Ebay for cheap since everybody is upgrading to LiPo. I wouldn't go with anything less than 5000mAh. The charger I linked will work with NiMH packs, as well.

steamboat

I bought it from a trade center and it never came with a manual, and also my servo burned out. do you know how id get the receiver off the servo?

Deluge

Here's a vid that covers servo removal. It's not a Volcano, but the process is pretty much universal.

[ame]

[/ame]As far as the battery, contact Redcat. They should be able to tell you what the ESC can handle.

steamboat

I just bought a new servo and battery and it still wont turn, could my remote or esc be bad?

Deluge

Just in case, confirm the servo works by hooking it up to the throttle channel. If it works, sounds like you have a bad receiver.

steamboat

So am i, do you know of any good hopups for the volcano epx? and would i be able to run a 2c 7.4v lipo in it?

Deluge

As far as I know the brushed ESC can't handle a 2S LiPo. I wouldn't try it, the brushed ESC's from Redcat are sketchy.

I've never hopped up an EPX, so I don't know. If you look on Redcat's site, they should have a list of factory upgrades for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts