• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Chapinb's build

chapinb

Iv been running various traxxas rigs for the past few years and thought it time to upgrade to something bigger!

I ended up with the xbe for a few reasons. Price and durability had a lot to do with it. It is also light enough to have good throttle control while in the air - as awesome as a brushless 5ive is, how often do you see it land 100% perfect? I like to jump :D

I currently have a roller on order from George at Science and Hobby in Watervliet, NY. Big props to them for working with me so I wouldnt need to sell excess eletronics myself. We will get into what I have planned for power a little later...

While Im waiting for the roller to come in, Im doing some prep work with the items I do have.

A hitec 5765M will be going into it. If your not familiar with 1/5 scales (like me!) everything is Huge. Here is the hitec compared to a standard servo.

20130329_110046_zps391c4cad.jpg

Tools of the trade - Dielectric grease and liquid plumbers tape. The grease is water repellent, safe on electronics and stays in place.

Open it up by removing the bottom 6 screws. Slather the grease on the gears on the top and circuit board on the bottom. Screw it back together.

20130329_110644_zpsd358aada.jpg

Run some liquid tape around all the seams and where the wires exit the box.

20130329_111553_zps5e3c2997.jpg

I did a similar procedure on a castle bec pro.

Done!

chapinb

Here is a pinion comparison. A 16 tooth xbe pinion compared to a 32 pitch 20 count.

And finally my last 2 projects (obligatory photo)

Brushless super summit (with super dog in backround)

And a Traxxas e-slayer based on an e-revo chassis - Amazing, durable rig.

Last edited by a moderator:

twissted

Banned
welcome. lots to do here. You will fall in love with the XBE as long as you keep up with the up grades that are needed. The servo was one of my fist as well.

chapinb

IV been told the xbe has arrived!! Most of my parts have come as well. I should be able to have it runnable by tomorrow. I still have trouble getting over how big some parts are - the motor alone is impressive.

I'll have an underbody pic of the sct when I'm able.

chapinb

The motor and mount will be going in today. I was going to go with the leopard 5692 but they are either sold out or very expensive everywhere I looked. I ended up with a TP Power 5660 (actual size 5692) 1000kv. Every place I look it has amazing reviews. We will see. I was surprised how weak the magnets felt though... The shaft turns as easily as a castle 2200.

Here is the Cat as I received it, sans all electronics.

First step - Make sure all screws are tight. To my surprise, everything was locktited perfectly. Not a single loose metal on metal screw. Awesome job redcat!

Next time to disassemble the motor mount for a shiny new 7075 setup.

problem 1. Too much locktite... I needed pliers around my hex driver to undo the motor mount screws. After all the screws were out, the diff cup felt like it was welded to the shaft. I needed a torch and some time to melt the locktite and remove the cup.

chapinb

I opted to keep the metal spur - I like the peace of mind. I also went for a 16 tooth pinion. My logic behind this was that if the stocker can run on the spur and a 16tooth, this motor should not have a problem. We will see.

Im not sure what screws I am supost to use to mount the motor to the 7075 cam, but I couldn't find any that fit in the packaging or from the stock xbe. The screws I had around had too big of a head to fit inside the cam. I drilled out the holes some to allow the screws to sit correctly.

It looks like there may not be enough meat on the top left corner, but there is still plenty.

I had a spacing issue with the spur - when using to stock spur and the stock retaining ring for the spur, the assembly is too wide for the motor mount halfs to come together tightly. I needed to machine down the retaining ring a few mm to get a snug fit. I think this is because I used the stock spur though, not 7075's fault.

The mount install is pretty straightforward, however I misunderstood something - When I ordered the 7065 chassis mount, I expected it to be a FRONT mount, not the required rear brace to use the motor mount. I would like to see someone make a front mount to fit this (can you hear me 7075?)

You cant see it very well, but I have 2 clearance issues. One is that the motor actually touches the front chassis brace slightly. Not enough to push anything out of line however. And now that the spur sits higher, there is a dogbone clearance issue with the stock esc tray. I needed to dremel out some of the tray to allow clear passage. I know I could have mounted the esc on the rear brace, but I like this setup.

Motor wires will be shortened when Im happy with the current setup.

chapinb

Now for the servo.

As others have mentioned, you need to flatted the stock mounts some. Its pretty easy. Both mounts only need a few mm taken off. a new hole also needs to be drilled for each mount.

Even using a short horn, the servo has plenty of throw. Its not connected to a bec yet, so i cant fully comment on how strong it is.

I don't have proper batteries for a real 6s run at the moment - batteries are on order. I will try 4s later today and see how she handles.

More to come!

G

Looks good so far!

bigfol

Man thats a hole lot of motor to be running with it geared 16/41 with that 6s esc, You will find it pulling around 200 amps geared that high, I'm can't remember how many amps the castle 6s esc can handle....... I hope it works for you, just keep on checking the temps and if it starts to gog, stop running and check the motor temps, I destroyed my last motor by pushing it to far, 8s is the best set up for these buggies, runs nice and cool and running 8s lowers the amp draw.......

Wattage / Voltage = Amps

So, the highter the voltage at the same wattage, the lower your amp draw. 8s will defintely make a difference:

Average Usage:

1000 watts / 22.2 volts (6s) = 45.05 amps

1000 watts / 29.6 volts (8s) = 33.78 amps

Peak Usage:

3830 watts / 22.2 volts (6s) = 172.52 amps

3830 watts / 29.6 volts (8s) = 129.39 amps

chapinb

I was figuring about 200 amps burst. Iv had the esc pull 200 amps off 5s, so Im willing to try 6s. And if it pops, well its and old MMM and Id love an excuse to buy an 8s esc.

Ill be data logging and watching temps closely. The punch control will be set pretty low till I can review the data.

chapinb

Just got me 6s batts in. 6s Zippy 5800 mah, 30c. After some dremeling, they are snug but don't fit as well as I would like. Some Vorza trays are on order.

While waiting for my batts, I got an email from Dan @ castle regarding the use of the MMM in a 200 amp, 6s rig.

"We do not have those ratings, the engineers didn't release them. The ratings of the ESC are not generally needed for the application that they were intended for. I wouldn't be able to help you with that. Even on the other ESC's that we post the amp ratings on we still do not publish any burst ratings."

I still wanted to try. Set the esc up as conservative as I could and off we go!

Found a fatal flaw quickly - the MMM has a 'startup power' feature, basically limiting how many amps can be delivered within the first few milliseconds. Even at the highest limit, it still takes a shove to get the XBe off and moving. Once its rolling its fine. Its scary fast on my small yard! Here is a short data log from that. Keep in mind my logger only reads accurately to 150 amps meaning that 175 amp peak is actually higher.

I have a Skyrc toro ex on order to power the beast.

chapinb

Just had the first outing with the Toro and 6s. Im blow away by how well it handles compared to my 1/8 monster trucks/sct. So smooth at speed.

Im certainly over geared according to temps. Could only run about 5 min before the 170 degree mark was reached. Swapping out for a 48 tooth spur and going out for a bit longer.

The toro was running a cool 110. Seems like a solid esc is this early stage of testing. Time will tell.

As for amp draw, I am VERY glad I couldnt run the MMM. I drew a total of almost 280 amps peak!

My eagle tree wont log more than 150 amp accurately so I only measured from one of the batteries. This was the result of the first pair of batteries.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.