Chain Drive?

Phill

Hi Guys

I know there's a belt drive avail for the DR but has anyone heard of a chain drive anywhere?

Thanks

Phill

G

What do you feel the benefits of a chain would give? I've never been a chain fan.

They are noisy... I'd rather hear the engine. :D

They need to stay lubed....

No real weight savings... It could end up actually being heavier.

I think the factory gear setup would remain stronger.

Phill

RCDAD said:
What do you feel the benefits of a chain would give? I've never been a chain fan.They are noisy... I'd rather hear the engine. :D

They need to stay lubed....

No real weight savings... It could end up actually being heavier.

I think the factory gear setup would remain stronger.
Hi RC

The main thing I'd like to do is get rid of the idler gear

I see it as the cause of heat , friction and power loss

A chain would be as positive as gears . I don't like the idea of a belt as it would be prone to slippage.

I'm running metal gears (the white plastic ones lasted exactly 4 mins) so I would imagine the weight to be about the same.

I ride a ZZR 1100 that pulls 12,000 RPM and I don't find noise a problem with the chain.

With the Ghost pipe on the PSR motor EVERYONE hears the motor.

As with my bike I don't see lubing as a problem.

It's just an idea I'm tossing around.

Probably won't come to anything but in the meantime I'll keep my eye out and maybe have a go at fabbing one when I have some time (which is almost never!)

phreerider

if you can make it light. fat heavy chain will need stout power to spin quick. but for lugging about might be best it will do. these little 2 stroke find the power thru quick rev thru the power band. maybe a titanium/ceramic chain super light... still the wear and pressure would eat it up. and for beter performance maybe around 50cc the power/swinging mass would better fit a chain. a belt for light, durable power transfer easily by far matches the mass in the small 2 strokes . the geared transfer is tidy and effective...the sprocket of equal mass plus the addition of chain mass... really starts addding up. i would like to see a system work curious to see what you can come up with.

Phill

phreerider said:
if you can make it light. fat heavy chain will need stout power to spin quick. but for lugging about might be best it will do. these little 2 stroke find the power thru quick rev thru the power band. maybe a titanium/ceramic chain super light... still the wear and pressure would eat it up. and for beter performance maybe around 50cc the power/swinging mass would better fit a chain. a belt for light, durable power transfer easily by far matches the mass in the small 2 strokes . the geared transfer is tidy and effective...the sprocket of equal mass plus the addition of chain mass... really starts addding up. i would like to see a system work curious to see what you can come up with.
Next time I'm in the modelling shop I'll have a scout around and see what I can come up with.

I'm pretty sure it can be done effectively.

Phill

I am debating on what gear ratio to go with for the Belt Drive on my DR. I think that chain drive is discontinued anyways. Belt is more efficient
The V5 1:1 is the only one that fits the Cats
The 1.35/0.65:1 has 10mm holes.
Redcat shafts are only 8mm so unless you want to do a bit of lathe works 1:1 is it.
I find it great on the DR.
Great takeoff and top speed around 35 MPH but I'm running a bit rich on the HSN.
One day I'll get time to do some tuning and get it going faster

G-Man

Redcat shafts are only 8mm so unless you want to do a bit of lathe works 1:1 is it.
Great takeoff and top speed around 35 MPH but I'm running a bit rich on the HSN.
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.de/itm/151109249454

G-Man

So you are saying all these different belt gears are for a 10mm shaft?

Members online

Latest posts